Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New gig1 internet installed slow speeds wifi faster than ethernet

Dovesterx
Joining in

Hi guys had my new virgin Internet installed

Got the hub 4 gig1 speed.

Getting no where near the speeds I want! With WiFi I'm getting like 200mbs but when I connect devices for instants I connect my xbox series x with a 5e ethernet cable straight into the hub 4 I'm getting speeds around 90mbs with higher ping!I don't understand how this could be slower! 

Any help would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

90mbps sounds like a CAT5 cable.

Have you tried a different cable?

200mbps over Wifi sounds about right though. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Ah okay I've ordered cat 7 cables so hopefully would change cheers

@Dovesterx wrote:

Ah okay I've ordered cat 7 cables so hopefully would change cheers

Well first step would have been to try another cable, but ok. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

All I got is cat5e cables I've tried all of them still the same

Are you connecting direct to the hub?

Or via some powerline adaptors or a switch?

Straight from xbox series x to hub I get it! I use powerline netgear plugs which are really good for my pc and I only get like 40mbs from it. I got more with sky 🤣

What colour do the lights flash in the network ports on either the hub and/or Xbox?

Nothing flashes on the hub 4?

Hi @Dovesterx,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your service. I've taken a look at your account and can see you spoke to our team over the phone since posting and after running a speed test via Sam Knows, results were within range. There were some intermittent signal issues in the area at the time and this has now been resolved. I also note WiFi Pods have been ordered for you so this will also help with any coverage issues going forward. 

I have however taken a look at your power levels and at the time of writing, can see the downstream is in the red. I will pop you a PM so we can confirm some details and get a technician booked to get this corrected.

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs