cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fire stick 4k network connection issues

Alexbean
Tuning in

Just bought a new fire stick 4k and tried to connect to router.   Finds it okay, good signal blah blah but then just won’t connect.   Have used iPhone as a hotspot and it does connect and sets up and plays etc but when I try to log onto network it just says disconnected???   Have tried the forget network thingy so not sure what else!   Is there something I need to do on my Virgin account to accept it?   Puzzling!

8 REPLIES 8

g0akc
Problem sorter

Do you know if it gets an IP address?

If you look in the hub’s pages at 192.168.0.1 do you see the firestick in the list of connected devices?

Do you know how to enter the network settings manually?  

try this;

https://uk.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P000080CtjsSAC/fire-stick-unable-to-connect-to-virginmedia...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Just had a look and if I am doing it right than cannot see it mentioned anywhere!  Or at least it is not named - it might be an unknown?

Sorry meant to say I have tried that advice in the link.   It is just weird, old Firestick had no problems and still works if I just wanted to upgrade to 4k version and as mentioned it works if I use iPhone as a hotspot.   It finds the router and does say excellent signal.    So must be a virgin issue rather than than a Firestick issue.     

Reboot the Stick by doing a Restart and try again.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Done that, done factory reset too.   Even tried to set up via fire tv app.    It is literally as soon as it tries to connect after choosing router that the issue lies so got to be router/wifi issue.   Too many devices on the router or something to do with old Firestick still registered on it maybe???

Try splitting the bands and connecting to 5GHz only 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I did wonder about the 5GHz but cannot see that as an option when choosing WiFi network.     Do I need to set it up and if so how do i set up 5GHz??

@Alexbean wrote:

I did wonder about the 5GHz but cannot see that as an option when choosing WiFi network.     Do I need to set it up and if so how do i set up 5GHz??

By default the bands are merged - single SSID 

login to hub, advanced settings - both 2.4 and 5 showing to adjust 

change network name on the 5GHz - add a 5 to it

Connect to that