Menu
MykBhoy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

New customer today - frustrated

Hi All - I was connected today to Your Broadband. It wasn’t the smoothest of afternoons trying to get my devices switched over from Sky to Virgin. But I got there in the end. A few connection drops but I’m sure that’s not uncommon. However, I’m not happy that I explicitly explained that I will need “expanders” and was assured the set up guy would see to that ok set up day. I was informed by the set up guy (who was very good) that they no longer carry such equipment but I can order them through the app. The Virgin app informs me that they have none (WiFi pods) in stock and I will be emailed when they are available. Firstly, I find this extremely poor service and something I should have been aware of prior to me choosing my set up day. I would have waited until all equipment was available before switching to Virgin. Secondly, when will these items be available? At this point I have substandard coverage of WiFi in places I need it to be reliable. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customer today - frustrated

Hi MykBhoy,

Did you have any wifi boosters with Sky? 

If so and you kept them, then you can use them with VM for now until there are new stocks of the pods.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
MykBhoy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You can? I didn’t think that was possible.... 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I had the old non Q booster,  just plugged it into the mains and pressed the WPS button on booster and hub 3

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
MykBhoy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I’ll give it go but my expander is a Sky Q one 

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Or you could get a mesh system which will give you nearly full speed around the house.  I would rather pay for this outright than pay an extra £3 a month to rent them and at least you would own your own ones and not have to give them back at end of contract.

TP-Link Deco E4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Seamless and Speedy (AC1200) for Large Home, Work with...

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Richw1982 wrote:

Or you could get a mesh system which will give you nearly full speed around the house.  I would rather pay for this outright than pay an extra £3 a month to rent them and at least you would own your own ones and not have to give them back at end of contract.

TP-Link Deco E4 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Seamless and Speedy (AC1200) for Large Home, Work with...

The e4 only has 100mb network ports though, so unless you want to limit max throughout to 100mb I’d avoid that one and opt for the m4/s4 as a minimum...

MykBhoy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the links. I’m aware of other products and the pros and cons but the real reason I’m raising it is the product they are advertising and selling isn’t fit for purpose without these WiFi pods also being available.

Virgin’s Twitter account suggest I post here as a way of getting an answer from Virgin themselves. Do Virgin get involved on this forum? 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Yes Forum Staff do pick up posts, however it can take a few days especially on a weekend.

As far as I know there is a shortage of the pods at the moment.

Where you able to use the Sky Q booster?

As I said, I was able to use the old booster but I think I had to reset it first 

Dave

0 Kudos
MykBhoy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That’s my task for today thanks again for the info. I’ll feed back later.