cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, extremely poor wifi range

jamieww
Tuning in

Hi,

I have just joined virgin (today) & have found the wifi range to be appalling. 

I have various wifi products throughout the house, echoes, dots, smart plugs & bulbs & along with the usual pc, laptops, mobiles & consoles.

Previously I was using EE (standard hub) along with powerline adaptor for the consoles & laptops & was able to run every wifi product without issue.

I changed to virgin to get the fiber speed 512mbps, previously I was getting around 35-60mbps).

I know its the 1st day but between dropouts with items not automatically reconnecting (even though all setup to do so) & various wifi bulbs, mobiles & plugs not getting strong enough signals to actually work correctly.

I am already regretting the move, luckily I still have my EE hardware & line activated until monday, so I can switch the items with bad wifi to that as a short term measure but that defeats the issue.

The powerline adaptors for the consoles, TVs & desktops work fine.

I also find it extremely annoying that walking from one room to another causes dropouts where the only way to reconnect is to completely disconnect the mobile device settings & disconnect completely before reconnecting. 

Is this normal for virgin??

Any ideas or solutions greatly appreciated (which won't cost yhe earth) as currently I am seriously considering cancelling the whole lot & going back to the slower EE or similar based on BT infrastructure. 

Many thanks 

Jamie

21 REPLIES 21

I have read through the whole thread issue is very clear - VM Router is poor. I have the same problem, router range doesn't reach in every room of my 3 bed apartment - all on same floor. VM agents have replied 3 times in the whole thread and all of them have avoided issue resolution by simply asking further questions!

To any one reading this it is clear that router range is issue! Either

a. agents know that there is nothing VM going to be able to do as routers are just poor and no update is in pipeline, or

b. VM has employed agents who don't want to read. 

for the clarity I have Fibre optic to home connection with 200mbps speed and my router was replaced last week with latest one. 

Hi Neel

Thanks for posting. I am sorry you feel this way. 

Since the router was replaced, are you having issues still?

I've not been able to locate your account with the forum information provided so do let us know if there's anything you need

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill