cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New business broadband 5 ips

Malcolmcorrigan
Joining in

Hi we are ordering a business virgin broadband with 5 ip addresses , 

virgin are providing a modem only for this and we have to provide our own router , 

can any one  recommend a router for this 

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This is a residential forum and we do not use the business (Hitron?) modems - you sure it isnat a Hub with inbuilt router, switch and wifi ?

If just a modem - I think any cable router would be ok (others may correct me).

It depends on what your needs are. Do you want a Wireless router? If so with what features - 2.5/10GB port? Wifi6? Triband?

Or just a plain old router only with a switch attached to connect other devices on ethernet cables - and possibly connect a wireless access point.

And what budget do you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Nope you have to use VM router mode with 5 WAN IP's over a GRE tunnel that VM will not give you the info to connect your router for.

You can buy a router with bridge support to run as a firewall like Zyxel VPN300
https://www.zyxel.com/uk/en-gb/products/vpn-firewall/vpn-firewall-zywall-vpn300
---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thanks legacy1

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.