cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New WiFi Pod Faulty

effingheck
On our wavelength

I recently moved to a new address and was sent a wifi pod to cover the extra area so total of 2 Wifi Pods. The existing pod had worked absolutely fine with no issues. As soon as I introduced the new Pod to my network I started to see huge issues with WiFi dropping out on various devices - phones, playstation, my Teams calls would drop randomly etc.

After a bit of troubleshooting/process of elimination i'm sure its the new pod. If I have just the hub + new pod i have issues, if I then unplug it and put the old one in its place everything is fine. It doesn't seem to be related to the distance from the hub as I tested it being only a few metres away and it still has the issue. I've also noticed the pod in question's white light will start blinking as if its either restarted or trying to find the router. If I check my Virgin App it shows there's a problem with the pod.

Long story short - the pod is faulty. can I return it and get another one sent out please? I tried to go through the Phone Support but its even worse than I remember it and it just sent me round in circles.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If it doesnt connect when located in clear sight of the Hub - Its probably not been activated onto you account correctly.

Call the equipment activation number on - 0800 953 9500 (option 3) – you may need the Hub serial numbers/MAC addresses off the barcode stickers and also your account number - and ask them

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

It does connect to the hub and I can see devices connected to it on the app, but I get consistent disconnections from any device connected to that specific pod. This is after resetting it/moving it etc.

If I do a ping -t to google I can see regular drops for sometimes 2-3 minutes before it comes back. Sometimes there's no blinking white light, other times there is. None of this behaviour is seen on the other wifi pod, so I'm not sure if its an activation problem...

Hi @effingheck

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community. 

When you first plug the mesh WiFi Pod into a socket, the light should turn solid for a moment, then slowly pulse as it connects to the WiFi Hub. The slow pulsing typically lasts up to 10 minutes before turning off when ready.

If the WiFi Pod’s light is double-blinking quickly and repeatedly, it’s in the process of improving your WiFi. This’ll only take a few minutes, depending on how many WiFi Pods are connected.

This process can start again if there’s lots of interference. It’ll also happen overnight and straight after setup.

If you think there’s something wrong with the light on the WiFi Pod, just follow our step-by-step help here 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @vikki_M

Yes totally understand the meaning of the flashing lights and I can confirm the pod goes through the initial connection, connects to the hub, provides internet connectivity, but with intermittent constant disconnections, packet loss and performance drops. I can't maintain a Microsoft Teams meeting while my laptop is connected to that pod. If I switch it out with the existing pod its absolutely fine which is why I'm sure its this particular pod that is faulty.

I've left the suspected faulty pod in for a good amount of time (over 4 days) and it never gets any better. I've tried different locations/nearer to the hub/upstairs/downstairs. All with the same behaviour. Constant drops in connection. No issues with the hub/existing pod.

The link you provided doesn't go anywhere...just gives me a blank white page.

I'd really appreciate it if I could just send this faulty pod back and get a replacement sent in the post please.

HI effingheck, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I have checked the link she has sent and this is for the connect app. 

It is working on Chrome

Can you confirm if you have this downloaded and if it is picking up any issues?

Is the pod currently in the wall socket or an extension lead?

Have you looked at the troubleshooting guide here?

Kind regards, Chris. 

I have checked the link she has sent and this is for the connect app. 

It is working on Chrome

I've tried that link on my home laptop/computer/work laptop on and off 4G and everything just shows a blank/white page.

Can you confirm if you have this downloaded and if it is picking up any issues?

Yes I have downloaded the connect app and it shows there is 'a problem' with the pod when the issue occurs, it then goes back to the normal/healthy status when the connection eventually comes back. (I did mention this in my first message.)

Is the pod currently in the wall socket or an extension lead?

Its directly in the wall socket. I've tried multiple sockets in different rooms.

Have you looked at the troubleshooting guide here?

Yes - if I click 'Use the Connect App' it just sends me to the app which doesn't help me. If I use 'Follow Instructions' it gives me generic instructions like making sure its not blocked by objects etc. and then suggests I call/chat online to Virgin...which I've already done...and it just sends me in a loop or hangs up on me. Hence why I'm posting here.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi effingheck,

Thanks for answering those questions. I've taken a look at the Pods on our end, and can see that there is an issue with one of them - presumably the one you have mentioned.

I'm going to drop you a private message so we can look into this for you. Please look out for it in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ