Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Virgin Media Install

jasonjeffrey10
On our wavelength

3D3F6D5C-665B-4931-ABDE-80E56A990842.jpeg

594A0916-6159-498B-929C-C42CD3B41795.jpeg

A very frustrating post to make. So I’ve had Sky Broadband for nearly two decades and their customer service is first class in my experience, and also no issues with their products. I had around 60mb download speed. The downside is their range on WiFi was horrendous and gaming was only useable if hardwired. Hardwired there were no problems at all. 

I have a PS5. My son has a PS5. We like to play BR games so we want low ping. Now low ping is only achievable in the living room where we are both hardwired into the router which is a pain because my living room is setup like some teenage slumber room. 

I make the call to upgrade to VM. I’m assured that I can increase my speed to 512mb so I go for the package. I’m told there’ll be no latency issues and that I can boot my son back to his bedroom two floors up (yay I have my living room back). I (tactically 😃) have the router installed in my bedroom so that I can hardwire directly into the router. This is the worst broadband I’ve ever had. My son’s PS5 is lagging crazy and it’s unplayable despite him getting 300-400mb in his room. I’m hardwired and it is also unplayable.

I’m still in the cooling period to cancel but need to know if this is fixable please? VM customer support is nowhere near as good as Sky. It’s frustrating to say the least. I get told to reset router etc which does nothing at all. 

Attached some pics.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

25 REPLIES 25

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your BQM looks like an over subscribed area. Also upgrading speed will not help latency if that’s the case. 
As for poor WiFi VM will point you towards their WiFi Max product. £8 pm for WiFi booster Pods unless you are on the top tier or a VOLT user. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I appreciate the response but why would I pay £8 for something when the product I’ve bought has only been in use 2 days and I’m hardwired into the router?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m only pointing out the VM options for extending WiFi coverage and the cost implications. 
If your area has over subscribed it may take some time, or a very long time to fix. 
It may be an area fault, but the BQM is fairly indicative of too many users. 
The call is yours, stay or go? I’m only pointing out an opinion. 
Just remember you only have 14 days to get this sorted before you are locked into a contract.

When VM is good, like my area, it’s very good, but in some cases not so much. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I appreciate the feedback but I can’t see how VM fix this. I switch my console to my Sky internet and it works perfectly. 

I can’t even stream on this broadband it’s truly embarrassing that they would offer this service. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it really is over utilisation see this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20 - It turned out that it WAS overutilisation!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

They shouldnt be selling new contracts if they know its in an OU area.  They were heavily pillories and fined by the regulator for doing this a few years ago

See what they say when they get here - I have alerted them to the possibility

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:

If it really is over utilisation see this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20 - It turned out that it WAS overutilisation!

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

They shouldnt be selling new contracts if they know its in an OU area.  They were heavily pillories and fined by the regulator for doing this a few years ago

See what they say when they get here - I have alerted them to the possibility

Although John, what are you expecting, a VM employee to openly admit that, yes this is a case of over utilisation and it might be fixed sometime in the next decade, other than that, tough, sorry about that, but you will still continue to pay us each month won’t you?’

Looking at the BQM profile, this absolutely is an over utilisation issue, now from the OP’s perspective, the choices are this, cancel now, assuming they are in the 14 day cooling off period, and go back to their old supplier, which is a known situation; or; wait and see if things improve (hint: they won’t) but once out of the 14 day period, you’ll need to go legal and argue the provision isn’t acceptable under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, and that’s a lot more hassle!

Lastly to the OP, you were outright told ‘there would be no latency issues’? That was a lie, the customer services agent couldn’t possibly have know that beforehand! Something you might want to take into consideration when considering if VM is a suitable company to give your money to!

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you are not in BD4 are you i had a graph like that for years - the standard patter is its within our levels so tough - get out now wherever you are nothing will happen - the lies will come thick and fast - thats what they are good at

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for the link to the comment. It really does look like I’m going to have to cancel. Once that 14 day period hits I’m in for a headache as VM’s customer support is absolutely horrendous. 

Yes I was outright told not to expect any latency issues and that at worst, my sons room would still run at 250mb with low ping. 

For context, VM should have been installed in January but they cancelled on me 4 times. I threatened to cancel completely as they were cancelling without telling me a new date. I suppose customer support were trying to relate to me by saying they also gamed a lot and not to expect high ping.