Menu
MickyHatton
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New V3 hub problems. 2021

Apologies I know similar questions have been posted previously but I cannot find a very recent answer that accurately solves my problem.

I recently upgraded to the 500mbs broadband service and it came with the V3 hub.

I’d had the V2 hub for 7 years and had little to no problems with it, but since switching to the V3 my connectivity reliability has dropped dramatically. Example - I attended MS Teams meetings for a year without a single issue - now it’s hit and miss. Same goes for all my other devices.

I assume this is because the V3 routes to its chosen devices unevenly (I do have quite a few).

Therefore, what is the best way to solve this? Change the hub to modem mode and add a new router? If so, what is the best router for this job in 2021.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New V3 hub problems. 2021

You would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and if you go for the likes of a wi-fi 6 capable router you would get better speeds. There are loads of options from Asus, TP Link etc and seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment, especially if you are suffering from poor wi-fi coverage and speed. I know it's a case of having to spend money that you shouldn't have to, but it really is worth it and gives you a better all round stable internet experience

I use 2 x Asus wi-fi 6 routers with 1 GB connection and set up with Asus AiMesh system and get excellent speeds and coverage all around the house ranging from 400mb on my tablet and 830mb on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, but never any less than 400mb at my furthest point from any of the routers. The routers I use are in my signature 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
conman33158
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also have a look at the "TP Link Deco M4", I hear them mentioned a lot on the forums with great praise 👍 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What is the budget and what's the size of the property? thick walls or stud walls etc...?

You might get away with a single router that covers the whole property, or you may want to consider a mesh system that will provide a bigger range.  

If you're comfortable running your own cabling, then the gold standard is a router + wired in access points, but this can be a pain in the neck and mesh systems fill that gap easily and without the need to run cables..

Anything from Asus, TP-Link, Netgear or Zyxel will probably be fine - if you're looking at a single router then expect to pay upwards of £100 for a half decent one, and 2-300 for a top of the range.. For mesh systems, the biggest decision is whether you want a dual-band system or a tri-band system.  Tri-band is more expensive and includes an additional dedicated radio for backhauling traffic between mesh units.  You should also consider whether or not you want Wifi-6 or not.. probably don't have many wifi-6 clients at the moment but any purchase will likely last a few years so you might want to consider futureproofing... 

MickyHatton
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks 

It’s a fairly big property and I have Cat 6 running down 80 yards to a bar and running a separate wifi access point in there.

Whilst I do have multiple connections and repeaters in some areas of the house, my V2 hub seemed to handle it far better than the V3 hub.

I would consider a mesh system and budget isn’t a problem but I feel the issue is the V3 and would hope a good router would alleviate the issue but before I shell out, I was looking for good advice.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A single router can only get you so far. 

A mesh system would remove the need for repeaters etc across the house, though you'd want to keep that run down to the bar 🙂

Tri-Band 

The TP-Link Deco M9 get's a good write up around here, if you want the wifi-6 variant, then take a look at the X60

Alternatively, if you prefer ASUS, then this AC system has positive reviews, or alternatively, this wifi-6 version

Dual Band

TP-Link Deco M4 & M5 both get positive reviews, as does the x20 (for wifi-6)

As mentioned by @conman33158 you can also buy any Asus router that supports "AI mesh" and add to it over time.. 

And a final comment on the hub3 - it previously had a lot of problems processing high volumes of UDP traffic (which teams, for example, relies on).  THese are well documented and whilst VM have issued several patches to address it, it's a fundamental hardware problem so software patches will only go so far.. i can't say whether or not this is the reason that you are experiencing problems, or indeed whether putting the hub into modem mode will actually fix the problem, but it's the only reason that I am still on a 200mb connection with a hub2ac, and the reason that I'll stay on this until the hub4 is available in my area and there's a bit more data around about how it deals with the same sort of traffic..

MickyHatton
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you great advice.

Thanks all

MickyHatton
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

tehwolf,

If I bought the Deco X60 Mesh kit, would I need to add a switch as I have 4 Ethernet cables going in to my router and the X60 only has two Ethernet ports?

or could I run those Ethernet cables from the V3 still in modem mode?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MickyHatton wrote:

tehwolf,

If I bought the Deco X60 Mesh kit, would I need to add a switch as I have 4 Ethernet cables going in to my router and the X60 only has two Ethernet ports?

or could I run those Ethernet cables from the V3 still in modem mode?

Thanks in advance.

you will need a switch.

MickyHatton
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cheers pal, much appreciated.

0 Kudos