cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Super Hub 4 problems

Bal888
Tuning in

I was selected to receive a Hub 4 and it arrived a couple of days ago, I am a 100Mb customer.

I plugged it in exactly same spot as previous Hub 3, first observations are that this Hub's range is pretty much exactly the same as Hub 3 in my experience, same blackout spot in same regions around the house (with my repeater switched off).

The current understanding is that this newer router will be marketed to selected customers on slower packages as an upgrade to improve wi-fi, but on further reading it seems it may be targeted to areas of high utilisation.

The new HUB 4 can bond 32 channels together, while the HUB 3.0 can only do 24. Therefore possibly providing an improvement if operator supports the bonding change in the locations. Not sure if I am one of those locations - i'm just trying to piece everything together here.

The first day or so it seemed to work OK, last couple of days it seems we get intermittent speeds averaging around >15<=30Mb in a room that consistently got >90 <=120.

Thought it may be teething issues so rebooted a few times, but seems we can't get a decent speed out of it any more.. 

I have disable 5GHz completely as nothing used to use the 5GHz channel, I did the usual splitting the SSID to 2.4 and 5 etc etc, rebooted a few times.. nothing seems to be improving speed and dropouts..

The online tests also do not work for the new Hub 4.0 just for your information..

I'll try and keep people updated on experiences, hope someone finds some of the information here useful.

51 REPLIES 51

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Indeed the Hub4 is no better than the Hub3 in terms of range and performance etc.

Are your wired speeds ok though?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Yes wired I get over 110MB..🤔

Bal888
Tuning in

Quick Update:

Seems to be up and running perfectly today, over 100Mb on WiFi..

Unsure whether some work was being carried out?

Hope it keeps settled..

No otherwise you wouldn’t have got 110Mb over wired 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

That is a very good point.. 

sch_harmonious
Tuning in

Comparing to the older hub, I found that wi-fi connection is not that stable when I'm in bedroom. This affects my gaming experience. I use two mobile phones to team-play online battle. If the connection is cut, the "guest" will be kicked out.

We also opted for an upgrade to the Hub 4 which we recieved 2 September. Although installation was straightforward, it has proved to be much less reliable than the old one. The wired speed is fine at 100mgs but overall the wifi coverage is woeful, particularly in the room which was already a bit of a black spot. One of our mobiles is particularly badly affected. The extender we had used to try to solve the blackspot now doesnt seem to be compatible with the new Hub. Any suggestions on resolving this before we formally complain to Virgin Media?

I bought a nighthawk mesh extender, it was expensive but well worth it.
Have zero dead spots in the whole house, what would be awesome is if the new hub could do this!

Netgear AC3000 Tri-band wireless mesh extender (EX8000)

Best thing I have ever purchased, I now get nearly 100MBPS where I was getting next to zero

KathyMcC
Joining in

I have exactly same problems and discovered I'm using phone data as signal is so bad and I'm in a 1 bed flat! I can see the WI fi signal for the flat upstairs is stronger than my own.  Really irritating and frustrating.