cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Super Hub 4, Modem Mode, Port 1, Deco M4, No Internet, Couldn't Get IP Adress

Slevin
On our wavelength

I have tried all the threads on this community and none of them work. 

I have a white light (good) on my Deco, so it's connected. It can find the Modem Mode Hub 4 (in Port 1). But it can't get an IP Address.

Everything was fine with my Hub 3, but I've already sent that back to Virgin.

I have tried the whole "do these steps in the exact order of power off, cable in, wait 5 minutes etc".

I have tried resetting is so many times.

My Decos have the most current firmware.

22 REPLIES 22

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One thing to point out, the Hub 4 or any Hub for that matter is not "hot swap or plug and play".

You cannot just switch from one mode to another without following a specific power on sequences.

If you set the Hub 4 to Modem mode, you must then power it off for at least 5 minutes.   Setup the Deco with Automatic IP in Router mode and leave it on.

Connect on the one cable from the Hub 4 to the WAN port of the Deco.

Only then should you power on the Hub and this will take 5 to 10 minutes to fully initialise and allocate a WAN IP address to the Deco.

If you connect your laptop to the other ethernet port on the Deco at this point, you should be able to use a browser to get to http://tplinkdeco.net and check the configuration is correct and working.  Also I think the default IP address of the Deco is 192.168.68.1 if the weblink is not working?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Slevin wrote:

Hub4 in Router Mode

Router Mode, no Internet.

🙄

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

In addition to @Adduxi 's excellent advice, can I just add that when I recently did some flipping of my Hub 3 + Deco M4 in and out of modes to support some broadband fault finding, it took the Deco about five minutes in addition to the hub's mode change and subsequent restart times to gain an IP address. 

So after I'd put the hub in a different  mode it took the hub five minutes to come back online;

Then I had to unplug anything except the Deco and restart the hub (another five minutes),

And after the hub came back online, the Deco sat there with a red LED for another five to seven minutes.  You are allowing this extra time are you?