cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Super Hub 4, Modem Mode, Port 1, Deco M4, No Internet, Couldn't Get IP Adress

Slevin
On our wavelength

I have tried all the threads on this community and none of them work. 

I have a white light (good) on my Deco, so it's connected. It can find the Modem Mode Hub 4 (in Port 1). But it can't get an IP Address.

Everything was fine with my Hub 3, but I've already sent that back to Virgin.

I have tried the whole "do these steps in the exact order of power off, cable in, wait 5 minutes etc".

I have tried resetting is so many times.

My Decos have the most current firmware.

22 REPLIES 22

Slevin
On our wavelength
"then find the MAC clone option in Deco settings when done connect Deco to hub"

Theres a MAC Clone option, but what am I typing in there? The "Physical Address MAC" address from above?

PS My old set up was Virgin Hub 3 in Modem Mode and Mesh connected (to post 1 or 4 or whatever it was) in Access Point mode - and that worked. Hub was 100% in Modem Mode, because the Hub wouldnt appear in WiFi lists etc.

Slevin
On our wavelength

Also, just got off the phone with Virgin Media (finally) and theyve made me hold the reset button for 60 seconds (which has put it back in Router mode), so do I need to re-do my IP/MAC address thing from my PC?

Also, they said "The Hub 4 does not support 3rd party mesh network adapters"... So if thats true, that kinda sucks.

Guy was useless - his answer was to upgrade me from 500mbs to 1,000mbs for only another £16 a month. Lol. Great solution guy.

Thank you so far for your help - im amazed im getting online community help so quickly (if you check the TP Link/Deco community, theres unanswered questions for years)

Slevin
On our wavelength

Screenshot_20210913-112416_Deco.jpg

As soon as I switch to Router Mode (instead of Access point), the Deco goes Red and I can't connect (so I now can't access the option on it to Mac Clone).

It's plugged into the Hub4, Port 1, in Modem mode.

Just seems to be an endless circle of dead ends. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Whilst it's not much help to you, I'm using a Deco M4 with a Hub 3, and have never needed all that piffling around with MAC addresses, in either router or access point mode.

I would suggest that you do a pinhole reset of the Hub 4, get that back on line in router mode.  Next, do a pinhole reset of the primary Deco (pinhole is on the base of the unit) and then start from scratch as though the Deco has just come out of the box.  When the Deco is configured it will by default be in router mode, so use the Deco app to switch to access point mode.  You may want to clear the cache and all date of the Deco app, then delete it from your device and reinstall it to avoid any potential settings carry over (and if you can I'd create a new Deco account with different username/email credentials for the same reason. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forget the MAC cloning. 
Put the Hub 4 in modem mode and switch it off. 
Reset the Deco back to factory settings and leave it switched on.

Connect Hub to Deco with Cat 6 cable. Make sure there are no other Ethernet cables connected to the Hub.

Power on the Hub. You should get an WAN IP address on the Deco. 

EDIT- Just read Andrews reply, but personally I would run the Deco in Router mode and the Hub in Modem mode. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Slevin
On our wavelength

Correct, all this was pretty automatic with the Hub3 and Deco. Painless.

But, I think maybe a full reset is required. 

Screenshot_20210913-114729_Deco.jpg

I've followed all the steps, added the MAC Address as suggested.

Screenshot_20210913-114740_Settings.jpg

Still connected with No Internet. 

So I'm literally straight back to where I was this morning.

Urgh. I wish I knew this stuff! 

Slevin
On our wavelength

I have some Cat7 laying around, would that work too? 

Slevin
On our wavelength

Screenshot_20210913-120441_Settings.jpg

Just done that, full reset, fresh network... Same problem.

"Connected without Internet" 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What modes are the Hub and Deco in at the moment?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Slevin
On our wavelength

So,

Hub4 in Modem.

Deco plugged in Port 1.

Access Point Mode. White (Connected). "Connected but no Internet"

Router Mode. Red. (Won't connect).

Hub4 in Router Mode

Deco plugged in Port 1 (and Xbox, TV etc plugged into other ports).

Router Mode, no Internet.

Access Point. Working. For now.