cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Super Hub 4 Issues

Exhausted
Dialled in

Switched to super hub 4 a few weeks ago and previously had no issues with my old hub 3.

Since the switch the wifi range has been pathetic and the speed slowly grinds to a crawl after a couple of days until I reboot it, then it's fine for a few more days. This is on wifi and hard wired.

The new hub is in exactly the same place as the last one. I've tried several hard resets to factory settings. If I login in to the hub and run a test it says there are issues. I called but was told that the hub reporting a problem is a known glich and can be ignored?!

I've gotten nowhere with technical support over the phone, hence my post here.

Please help.

49 REPLIES 49

I know I will have to downgrade my package but if it means I can get useable broadband, then great.

My BQM is above in post 23

Story so far

Engineer visit 1     Confirmed a problem and would return next day to replace Hub 4

Engineer visit 2     Hub 4 replaced

Engineer visit 3     Confirmed power levels far too low and fitted powered booster. Also confirmed a network issue which was to be fixed within 24 hours

Engineer visit 4     Network issue reported fixed. Now power levels too high. Powered booster removed and attenuators fitted giving good, level signal

Engineer visit 5     Confirmed cable to house short circuit to ground. Taped up join found causing the issue repaired. Confirmed network issue again

Engineer visit 6     Network issue fixed can't find any faults but can see my packet losses and high latency. Hub 4 replaced again

My BQM 

Story so far

Engineer visit 1     Confirmed issue and would return next day to replace Hub 4

Engineer visit 2     Hub 4 replaced

Engineer visit 3     Power levels too low and also reported network fault. Powered booster fitted

Engineer visit 4     Network fault fixed. Power levels now too high. Booster removed and attenuators fitted

Engineer visit 5     Cable to house short circuit to ground when using high voltage test set. Taped together cable found causing short. Splice repair carried out however he confirmed another network fault again

Engineer visit 6     Now no network fault but can see my high latency and dropped packets on my BQM. Hub 4 replaced again

My BQM 

Sorry for previous double post. Something went wrong.

New BQM below

My BQM 

Router mode is hopeless get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Router mode is hopeless get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode."

Not helpful at all. I have the issue of not being able to Facetime or make audio calls even when wired to the Hub 4 so why would modem mode help?

Because it gets rid of the crummy routing capabilities of the hub and you can use your own better suited router

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Update

Well, after months of terrible Wifi and and not even being able to Facetime when wired I was just about to give up until a member of the Virgin Media team on here sent me this message:-

"I will be totally honest I have the hub 4.0 and I ended up buying a 3rd party router and I haven't had a single issue since."

He basically admitted what everyone on here has been telling me; the Hub 4 is not fit for purpose. You have to put it in modem mode and buy your own router. Well I bit the bullet the other day and did exactly that. All problems have now gone but the router set me back £135.

Virgin Media should openly admit the Hub 4 is useless and advise people of the issues before they 'upgrade'.

Modem mode should be the default option then because that the only mode they can truly support instead of here router mode...but we don't support it so use modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@legacy1 wrote:
Modem mode should be the default option then because that the only mode they can truly support instead of here router mode...but we don't support it so use modem mode.

Not that it will ever happen, but VM should get Modems out to those who want them and Routers for all other customers. 🙂

Ahh how I long for the old days before VM ever started handing out (Super)Hubs, bring back a modern equivalent modem of the old VMNG300. Those were the days!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks