cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Modem & Router

dannyoconnor562
Joining in

Hi,

First time poster with very limited technical background!

I have recently had a Hub 3.0 installed in my house.  I have purchased a separate modem (Netgear CM1000) which I would like to replace the hub with and connect to a new router (Ubiquiti Unifi USG).

To set both of these 3rd party items up on my network, the companies which I have bought them from have asked me to confirm the following ISP information:

• WAN details, either Static IP; PPPoE OR DHCP.
  • LAN IP and subnet mask
  • Cable internet provider, either COX, Mediacom, Optimum, Sparklight, Spectram or Xfinity.

If anyone could help me find this information, or point me in the right direction to look for it I would be very grateful.  I have just spent the best part of 2.5 hours on the phone to Virgin Media who offered zero help!

Many thanks in advance,

Danny

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the modem is no use to you - you must use the supplied VM hub - you can put that into modem mode and then connect the router you have purchased assuming it will work with the VM hub as i know nothing about the one you link to

a quick looks suggests its a router only so you will have no wifi

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're a Virgin Media customer in the UK, then return that cable modem, because the company won't connect third party modems (or for that matter VM hubs unless supplied directly to the customer by VM).  If you're in Eire (or possibly NI) things may be different.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You MUST use the Virgin Media Hub. You can put it in Modem Mode and attach your own router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter

That would be DHCP unless you've bought a static address from VM

• LAN IP and subnet mask

You can choose this yourself - use a 192.168.xx.xx range and /24 so subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 - that will support up to 254 devices

• Cable internet provider, either COX, Mediacom, Optimum, Sparklight, Spectram or Xfinity.

None of those - it's Virgin Media

As far as I know you need to use the Virgin Media modem that's provisioned on your account and identified by it's MAC address.  You may be able to clone it - but why not just use the hub 3.0 in modem mode.... 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

@dannyoconnor562 wrote:

Thanks Tony!!

I appreciate the information and quick reply.

Looks like ill need to return the modem :).  I have purchased some WAPs which I will run from a switch to various points throughout the house for Wifi coverage.

Do you know if virgin typically provide domestic users in the UK with a DHCP or PPPoE connection and where I could find these details?

Similarly do you know how I can find out my LAN IP and subnet mask details?

I've already answered these questions.  VM will use DHCP (including with the Hub 3 in modem mode).   They don't use PPPoE which is typically used in DSL networks such as those used on BT fibre to the cabinet....

I see you have other WiFi APs (access points) planned.

Assign addresses to your router (it may have a default) and other network nodes - typically 192.168.0.1 for the router/gateway and 192.168.0.2 for the next item - say AP and so on.  Then start the DHCP range at say 192.168.0.20 for your client devices

The Hub 3 will be on 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode (outside your LAN IP range but reachable via NAT).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

10 REPLIES 10

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the modem is no use to you - you must use the supplied VM hub - you can put that into modem mode and then connect the router you have purchased assuming it will work with the VM hub as i know nothing about the one you link to

a quick looks suggests its a router only so you will have no wifi

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're a Virgin Media customer in the UK, then return that cable modem, because the company won't connect third party modems (or for that matter VM hubs unless supplied directly to the customer by VM).  If you're in Eire (or possibly NI) things may be different.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You MUST use the Virgin Media Hub. You can put it in Modem Mode and attach your own router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter

That would be DHCP unless you've bought a static address from VM

• LAN IP and subnet mask

You can choose this yourself - use a 192.168.xx.xx range and /24 so subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 - that will support up to 254 devices

None of those - it's Virgin Media

As far as I know you need to use the Virgin Media modem that's provisioned on your account and identified by it's MAC address.  You may be able to clone it - but why not just use the hub 3.0 in modem mode.... 

Thanks Tony!!

Looks like ill need to return the modem :).  I have purchased some WAPs which I will run from a switch to various points throughout the house for Wifi coverage.

Do you know if virgin typically provide domestic users in the UK with a DHCP or PPPoE connection and where I could find these details?

g0akc
Problem sorter

Your router appears to lack Wi-Fi - that's fine if you want a cable only network

Thanks g0akc,

Much appreciated 😀!!!

@dannyoconnor562 wrote:

Thanks Tony!!

I've already answered these questions.  VM will use DHCP (including with the Hub 3 in modem mode).   They don't use PPPoE which is typically used in DSL networks such as those used on BT fibre to the cabinet....

I see you have other WiFi APs (access points) planned.

Assign addresses to your router (it may have a default) and other network nodes - typically 192.168.0.1 for the router/gateway and 192.168.0.2 for the next item - say AP and so on.  Then start the DHCP range at say 192.168.0.20 for your client devices

The Hub 3 will be on 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode (outside your LAN IP range but reachable via NAT).

Thanks again g0akc!

I hadn't got to your first reply when I sent the previous message to Tony.

Thanks for clarifying again and for the additional information to, very helpful.

Thanks,

Danny