cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Laptop - Terrible WIFI

ryangregory95
Joining in

I moved into a new house back in March and got setup with Virgin Media Ultimate package in early April. I'm getting great speeds on all my devices, whether they are connected to WIFI or via an Ethernet cable. For example my PS5 with a wired connection is getting 500/600 down, and my work laptop is getting 200 down when upstairs and on the WIFI.

However, I bought a brand new ASUS Laptop as I moved into the new house, which has really struggled to do anything connected to the WIFI. I've just done a speed test now when I'm the only one in the house at 13:30 on a Thursday and I'm getting 9.3 Mbps down. There is no Ethernet port so I need to connect via WIFI.

It's not just the fact it's low speeds but it's hardly usable. Sometimes I can't even load the google homepage or something as simple as that in less than 10 minutes. But it varies vastly, it can be fine one minute (though the speed never gets above 40 Mbps), then the next I'm getting 0.01 Mbps.

The laptop was running fine at my old place, though I only had a basic Sky Broadband package but maintained around 60 Mbps and without the inconsistency.

The specs of the laptop:

Asus M509DA

Quad-core AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / 2.3 GHz

16GB DDR4 SDRAM

512 GB SSD M.2 PCIe 3.0 - NVM Express (NVMe)

AMD Radeon RX Vega 10

802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Any laptop can connect on ethernet. You just need to get an adapter. I have ones for Ethernet(RJ45) to USBc/USB3/Thunderbolt - just get one for whatever port (s) the laptop does have.

See what it gets then.

Have you tried the laptop recently in another location - just to rule out whether its wifi connectivity has just recently developed a fault?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.