cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub4

davef28
On our wavelength

I have recently installed a Hub4. It’s awful. Two V6 boxes have dropped off WiFi and cannot now see it. My house is not very big and my iPhone has great download speeds further away than the V6 boxes. Not impressed at the moment. This is the latest of issues with VM affecting my family. Recommended VM to my son only to find they want to put cables thru walls in his newly decorated house. That proble is yet to be resolved. 

7 REPLIES 7

Hearsepilot
Tuning in
How do you expect the service to enter the building without cables being routed through walls?

I expect it thru external walls. Sky managed it. 

You didn't specify external walls, was this just a deliberately vague entry just for an attention tantrum?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davef28 wrote:

I have recently installed a Hub4. It’s awful. Two V6 boxes have dropped off WiFi and cannot now see it. My house is not very big and my iPhone has great download speeds further away than the V6 boxes. Not impressed at the moment. This is the latest of issues with VM affecting my family. Recommended VM to my son only to find they want to put cables thru walls in his newly decorated house. That proble is yet to be resolved. 

Try splitting the SSID and manually selecting the best wifi band for your V6 boxes.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

As for your son, VM should be able to run cables externally to find the best entry point for the Hub.  This however means the Hub has to be on an outside wall.  If the Hub is required in an non outside wall, then the cables will need to go through walls.  The only other option is to lift floorboards if possible and install conduit and pull ropes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

davef28
On our wavelength

Thank you for the reply. I have tried splitting the SSID already. It does seem have settled down now. 
With regards to my sons installation we are hoping to go thru the loft, which we will do. 
Thats what VM did for me years ago. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@davef28 wrote:

With regards to my sons installation we are hoping to go thru the loft, which we will do.

I trust you will not be running the coax yourself. That's a Virgin only job. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your posts on our Community Forums @davef28.

Do please keep us updated with the connection, and if any issues re-emerge, we'll be able to take a closer look into this for you.

You're also welcome to keep us updated with your Son's install, although to gain assistance with this, your son might be better placed to speak to us directly via our Community Forums

Kindest regards,

David_Bn