cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub reboots at midnight every night

Andy_FNotts
Joining in

Hi folks.

So i previously had the Superhub 2.0 (had it for about 7 years) and i encountered an issue where the wifi networks would randomly vanish  maybe once a day (even though connection via ethernet is fine) and i would have to restart the Hub to get the wifi networks to show again. I rang VM and explained the issue and the person i spoke to changed some settings apparently and asked me to see if the issue persists. 3-4 days went by and I had the same issue so I rang back and a new Superhub 3.0 was sent out. I connected this up and everything is ok with the wifi now.

However now the Hub reboots at nearly dead on midnight every night now and ive never had this issue before! I've rang up today and I have an engineer coming out in 2 weeks but to be honest i dont have any faith that this is a hardware or connection issue as my broadband is rock solid speed wise and doesnt drop out at all so im convinced this is a setting somewhere thats causing the midnight reboots.

53 REPLIES 53

*deleted*

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi there 

I’m having a similar problem with the same hub, timing is always after midnight every day.

This never happens during the day. Can you help please

I've never found a resolution to this issue and it happens every night. I read somewhere its basically a "courtesy disconnect" form virgin if you never turn your router off but even then that sounds iffy

Im 100% convinced the line and hub are ok and this is a virgin media side disconnect because the timing around 12:15 - 12:45 every night is too conistant.

Side note, i turned the hub off for 4 days while i was visiting family over christmas, turned it back on on the 28th and i've not had a disconnect since.... 5 days no drops so far but im expecting it to go back to dropping as last year it stopped dropping for a week and then started again.

@Andy_FNotts wrote:

I've never found a resolution to this issue and it happens every night. I read somewhere its basically a "courtesy disconnect" form virgin if you never turn your router off but even then that sounds iffy

Im 100% convinced the line and hub are ok and this is a virgin media side disconnect because the timing around 12:15 - 12:45 every night is too conistant.

Side note, i turned the hub off for 4 days while i was visiting family over christmas, turned it back on on the 28th and i've not had a disconnect since.... 5 days no drops so far but im expecting it to go back to dropping as last year it stopped dropping for a week and then started again.

I’ve had my hub up for 30-50 days before with no disconnects - there’s no such thing as a courtesy disconnect 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi @Andy_FNotts, thanks for your posts and I'm sorry to hear you were having routine dropouts of your Hub nightly.

I know you've mentioned on your most recent post, that this hasn't happened since you left your Hub offline over the Christmas period, and have subsequently turned it back on.

Can you please let me know how you've been getting on since your post on Sunday?

Regards

Tom_W

Only just seen your response as i only checked this after talking to a colleague about this issue.

It still persists, 2 years on, every night it disconnects from 12:30am-1:30am. The external VM box on the wall is a bit of a mess (box is damaged and the cablings a rats nest)  but it has been for the 9 years ive been here and its never been an issue. Likewise this was never an issue with the VM HUB 2 and the problem only started with the HUB 3

It's starting to drive me up the wall now so if someone can check /redo the external box and i can get a new hub i think that would prob be the route to go down

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update Andy_FNotts,

Welcome back to the community.

So sorry to see that the issue still persists, to clarify on this during the time since the last post has no tech visist been booked for this matter?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi,

No visit was done as when i originally raised the issue it was during the height of covid and i gave up on the issue due to the frustration. I'm happy for an engineer to come and check/ repair the box on the outside of the property. I would also happily accept a new Hub as the problem only started when i switched from the Superhub 2 to the Superhub 3 and i've never had a replacement hub since the issue started.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there, 

So we can investigate this further I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

No PM received so far. The arranged tech guy arrived and made some adjustments to the cable which brought me a boost in speed which lasted for the rest of the day - now back to below par  speeds (I'm supposed to be getting the 1gb speed) with the technician here I did briefly get 600+mbs but now back to around 200mbs. - if I were to pay 20% of the amount paid by DD every month that I get 20% of my 1gb would that be fair?? Incidentally, my hub is still rebooting around midnight to 1a.m. so back to square one.

Happy New Year,

I look forward to hearing from you:)