cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub 3.0 causing connection problems with wireless printer

Gill47
Joining in

Our Virgin Media hub has been changed to a 3.0.  Our Samsung M2070W Laser Printer worked off the previous hub but since it has been changed the new hub will not recognise the printer.

I have followed instructions to try to change the printer settings but there is only a menu up and down button and no means to actually enter the new WiFi network and password in the printer.

I have pressed the menu button on the printer to bring up a WPS password and it says to enter it into the AP within 2 minutes.  I presumed this to mean I press the WPS button on the router, it flashes green but still it won't connect. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The manual below is certainly not very user friendly compared to many, not helped by the fact that Samsung seem to have abandoned all support having sold their printer business to HP.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05790142.pdf

Looks like the network settings can be cleared via the menu route on pg 197. Might be worth trying that first and then attempting to reconnect afresh.

Once you have cleared the old network settings, try the WPS push button method of connection (simplest but maybe not most reliable) on p153 'Connecting in PBC mode'

If that doesn't work ...

You could try one of the other network connection methods from the manual. For wireless printers, I normally connect the printer with a USB cable to begin with to do all of the configuration.

Wireless capabilities seem to be 2.4GHz only, so splitting the frequencies on the VM hub may help if clearing the network settings and trying reconnecting does not work.

A full reset option on the printer seems to be on pg 192.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Was the previous Hub an sh1 or sh2?

In either case they have SSID's specific for the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands. The Hub3 combines them into 1 SSID = Smart Wifi ! Unfortunately this is still flaky for some devices and they get confused:-)

What "network" is the printer seeing whne you try and connect it - can it see the new SSID and are you using the correct password?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Many thanks for replying.  The previous Hub was also a 3.0 (just remember it was the white one) replaced as faulty and this is the black one and the engineer replaced it last weekend when he came out to our landline not working

I printed out the Network Configuration sheet and the printer is still seeing the previous SSID.   Laptops and tv are all connected on the new network OK but each time I try to connect the printer it comes back as failed.  I feel it is reverting back to the old settings and there is no way I can input the new ones into the printer.  I was hoping that the hub might be able to override that but I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Sounds like the printer is the issue if its not seeing and letting you connect to your own SSID. Is it not visible in a "drop down" menu of "available SSID's" to select and connect with the new

Anyway of factory resetting it and start again from scratch?

You could always try separating the Hub SSID's by giving them different id's for the two frequencies.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yes it seems as though the printer is the problem.  It is at least 5 years old and has always been great but there seems no way of entering the network details direct to it.   I have been ploughing through the Samsung manual online and there also doesn't seem any way of taking it back to factory settings.  I will have a look at separating the Hub SSIDs as I have seen that mentioned when searching other threads.

After having spent so much time trying to sort it I'll give it a rest now or I'll never sleep tonight!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The manual below is certainly not very user friendly compared to many, not helped by the fact that Samsung seem to have abandoned all support having sold their printer business to HP.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05790142.pdf

Looks like the network settings can be cleared via the menu route on pg 197. Might be worth trying that first and then attempting to reconnect afresh.

Once you have cleared the old network settings, try the WPS push button method of connection (simplest but maybe not most reliable) on p153 'Connecting in PBC mode'

If that doesn't work ...

You could try one of the other network connection methods from the manual. For wireless printers, I normally connect the printer with a USB cable to begin with to do all of the configuration.

Wireless capabilities seem to be 2.4GHz only, so splitting the frequencies on the VM hub may help if clearing the network settings and trying reconnecting does not work.

A full reset option on the printer seems to be on pg 192.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you still have the old hub with it's SSID, settings password and wifi password (they should be printed on a label on the bottom)  then you could rename the SSID and password on your new hub with the same details as the old hub.

That should reconnect the printer, however you would need to re-enter the old SSID/password into all your other devices, and make sure you have a copy of those settings should you need to factory reset the new router in the future..

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Many thanks for all the help.  The bit about PIN or PBC settings on Page 152 worked.  I changed the PIN to PBC as it said that was the factory default, pressed the Pair WPS button on the hub and this time it worked and the printer connected with the hub.  

The manual is not an easy read and for someone like me it is like reading a foreign language but I am so grateful that it has finally worked and I hope this might help someone else who is floundering.