cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking advice

Johnny_b_ylt
Tuning in

Hi, 

I had Vodafone broadband and moved to virgin tv and broadband (hub 4).

My current set up is my hub 4 with 3 Ethernet connections (one to the virgin tv box, one to my main deco m4 and one to a wall socket which leads to my study wall socket and work laptop).  

The connection is showing as Ethernet on my virgin tv box and connection speed is set to high.  Is there a way to check what speed it’s getting?

my work laptop is showing only 90mbps.  As the Ethernet signal is going through the wall socket, how do I make this faster? I’ve tried plugging the virgin plug directly into the tp link wall socket but no joy. 

I just did a Speedtest from my mobile in the living room and it is showing 512mb/s and I’m paying for 500mb/s minimum. 

My deco m4 is connected to 3 other m4s around the house.

How should I set my network up? I tried putting the virgin router in modem mode but none of the Ethernet ports work and not getting a fast speed via the deco?

Any advice appreciated. 

Regards,

Johnny

12 REPLIES 12

@Johnny_b_ylt wrote:

You are right, my pass through devices are TP link TL-PA4010P which when I check the specs say 10/100 - so that means 100mbps is the highest speed and I should get better ones to handle 500mbps which is my speed?

Powerline adapters have a place, but in my view it's as a last resort.. the advice about putting hte hub in modem mode and getting a switch is good - if you want teh best quality connection to your office, then consider running an ethernet cable from teh switch to the office.. you'll get the full gig then, and it'll be 100% reliable 😛

Running ethernet cables isn't for everyone though, and the fact that you're actually getting a full 100mb over the powerline adapters says that your circuitry must be pretty good.. consider whether you really need more.. i mean, sure, it's nice to have max speeds, but depends how much hassle it is to run teh ethernet cable 🙂

Thanks for everyone’s help on this!

I’ll see what the speed is over WiFi from my laptop in my office and go with that if it’s faster. Been looking at better quality power lines that offer 1gbps but they are a wee bit pricey. 

@Johnny_b_ylt wrote:

Thanks for everyone’s help on this!

I’ll see what the speed is over WiFi from my laptop in my office and go with that if it’s faster. Been looking at better quality power lines that offer 1gbps but they are a wee bit pricey. 

Yeah they aren’t worth it in my view, especially when ethernet cable is so cheap, if a bit inconvenient 😉