cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking advice

Johnny_b_ylt
Tuning in

Hi, 

I had Vodafone broadband and moved to virgin tv and broadband (hub 4).

My current set up is my hub 4 with 3 Ethernet connections (one to the virgin tv box, one to my main deco m4 and one to a wall socket which leads to my study wall socket and work laptop).  

The connection is showing as Ethernet on my virgin tv box and connection speed is set to high.  Is there a way to check what speed it’s getting?

my work laptop is showing only 90mbps.  As the Ethernet signal is going through the wall socket, how do I make this faster? I’ve tried plugging the virgin plug directly into the tp link wall socket but no joy. 

I just did a Speedtest from my mobile in the living room and it is showing 512mb/s and I’m paying for 500mb/s minimum. 

My deco m4 is connected to 3 other m4s around the house.

How should I set my network up? I tried putting the virgin router in modem mode but none of the Ethernet ports work and not getting a fast speed via the deco?

Any advice appreciated. 

Regards,

Johnny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sophist
Trouble shooter

Your tp link powerline adapters are likely only 10/100 devices. To get a faster connection you need to remove those from the equation.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this sequence

Disconnect all cables from your Deco units and unplug them. Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Then, set up your first Deco with the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. NOW… power up the VM hub leave 5' and you should get a connection.

Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. Note that some Deco’s systems need to be connected to the internet to set up the DHCP/Nat mode so that “may” need to be done and then start this sequence again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks - I tried this before and none of the other Ethernet ports on the virgin router worked (which in turn affected my virgin tv as it’s connected via Ethernet) when the virgin router in modem mode. 

can I use the virgin router in modem mode, with all Ethernet connections still working on the virgin router, and have the deco configured for the WiFi? There is only 2 Ethernet cables on the deco of which one is used up connected to the virgin router  

also, do I need to reset the decos at all since it’s moved providers (vodafone to virgin). 

I currently get 512mbps connected directly to the virgin WiFi, but only less on the deco WiFi. 

regards,

Johnny

90 on the works laptop is likely a cable fault if the laptop has a gigabit card and the laptop itself is set to gigabit not 10/100 so check that and if all settings are ok check the laptop with another cable direct into the hub - if you get high speed then its the cable to the socket or the cable from the socket to the laptop

only one port on the hub works in modem mode so that would have to go to the deco - all other connections would have to go to that 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

sophist
Trouble shooter

Your tp link powerline adapters are likely only 10/100 devices. To get a faster connection you need to remove those from the equation.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As Tony says...

I would get an unmanaged 1GB port ethernet switch with 5-8 extra ports and plug that into the spare Deco port so you can connect multiplle devices onto that

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ah so only port 1 works when the virgin router is in modem mode?  So I connect that to the deco. As the deco only has 2 ports, with 1 in use to the virgin router, do I need to buy a switch to plug into the free port, then connect the rest of my Ethernet connections to the switch?

I will check the tp power line devices are 10/100

Yes that will do.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You are right, my pass through devices are TP link TL-PA4010P which when I check the specs say 10/100 - so that means 100mbps is the highest speed and I should get better ones to handle 500mbps which is my speed?