cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network "packet loss and high ping"

tobyjames1
Joining in

I am constantly having issues with packet loss and high ping spikes for a long period of time. The issue always seems to come back even when its supposed to be "fixed"

I've contacted support on the phone multiple times and there are not helping me but only telling me they will monitor the connection. Yet this connection issue has been happening for months if not years. Its now getting completely unbareable and im unable to even enjoy playing any type of game due to packet loss and ping spikes. 

I would really appreciate some help with this as its getting to the point where ill have to change broadband as its been going on for too long. 

Down below is the connection of just today but i also have last 2 weeks on there and its the same problems throughout.

Screenshot 2021-11-14 180840.png

14 REPLIES 14

Its getting to the point where im completely unable to use my computer online after coming home from work, either the internet is being throttled or you have an issue that you cant seem to detect because this is ridiculous.

internetv2.jpg

Looks like ill just have to change provider because nothing is getting fixed 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That BQM is a classic overutilisation profile - odds on I would say. VM are always reluctant to admit and discuss these and can take years to fix.

In case it turns out to be OU see this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

When you get your new price increase letter/email (imminent) you have 30 days when you can cancel the service free of any disconnection charges

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I'd agree with @jbrennand that it is over-utilisation.  As the pattern is worst during working hours, but less pronounced during the evening (when content streaming is the predominant use of capacity) I suspect that it is upstream rather than downstream over-utilisation, and is probably made worse at the moment by WFH.  Due to the technical architecture of the DOCSIS standards that apply to cable internet, there far less upstream capacity than downstream, and when lots of customers are on Teams calls or related uses that busts the assumptions that the network was designed with.  For some punters, this is only the WFH pressures, and will resolve itself post-Covid.  For some there's more than just WFH and the network has an underlying capacity problem, possibly not at the undemanding threshold at which VM do formally admit there's over-utilisation.  And for that latter group it means that post-Covid the problem might still persist.  We can't tell whether your problem will resolve as soon as/if ever the world returns to normal, but as many companies are adopting more flexible working models it's a leap of faith to assume that it will all clear up. 

If you got the email/letter about the price rise, you've got 30 days (which is now ticking away) to tell VM you won't accept that, during which time you can ponder whether you do want to leave.  If you do, telling VM you're cancelling normally starts a further 30 day notice period.  If you time it right that's up to two months, which should be ample time to consider, decide, and if need be get a new ISP installed.  Do it right, and you could have the new ISP in two-three weeks before the VM end date, and then if you find that the new ISP isn't delivering, phone VM and rescind your cancellation whilst cancelling your new ISP under cooling off rights.  A bit complex to outline, but if you can follow me there's some good tactical options open to you.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Tobyjams1, 

Thank you for your post, I have managed to locate your account and can see your downstream levels are critical and require a tech. I can get this arranged for you and will pop you over a PM

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope.

Zoie