cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network dropping out

indie212
Tuning in

Hi We have had virgin installed since March and have always had issues with wifi dropping out on all devices. We have had three engineer visits, new coax cables installed from the virgin box outsid ethe house, new Hub 3.0 and even a new fibre cable installed to the house. We are still experiencing drop outs on wifi. has happened every day for the last two weeks at any time of the day but most recently at night requiring the hub to be turned on and off to reset the wifi. The last engineer has now asked that I start again with customer service to report an issue but it means I need to start from the very beginning with a hub ests etc. How do I get help directly from Virgin to sort the problem or has anyone had similar issues and found a solution?

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The big question is....

... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi it affects both wired and WiFi connection. Do you know how I can get this followed up by Virgin without starting the process again as it is an ongoing issue that is not resolved but when contacting virgin I need to go through their technical test process all over again

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will respond on here - but its not a "hotline" and it can be a few days. If you post up some data it can help speed things up.
Can you do this...

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.