Menu
Maxine82
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Network cable problems

I have a Samsung 4k tv and it keeps coming up with "network cable disconnected" and then "Network cable connected" it keeps going off and on and it's affecting on demand services and Netflix 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Network cable problems

Is it actually connected to the Hub by an ethernet cable or by wifi ? Or not at all (just by HDMI to a V6 perhaps)?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Maxine82
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's connected via Ethernet cable 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Maxine82 wrote:

It's connected via Ethernet cable 

Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable to rule out a fault with the cable?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If a new cable doesnt sort it, try plugging the cable into different ports on the Hub (is it a Hub3?). Also when you get these "no connection" messages, do other devices drop off the internet at the same time?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Maxine82
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've tried all those things. My mobile comes off the Wi-Fi and I can't use Netflix 

0 Kudos
Maxine82
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's one of the newer hubs

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Maxine82 wrote:

I've tried all those things. My mobile comes off the Wi-Fi and I can't use Netflix 

OK that suggests that the hub is losing connectivity with the Internet rather than just the TV dropping the connection as your initial post suggested.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread which can take a few days.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

EDIT: Scott beats me to it again ! Smiley Happy

It would be better if you could test whether an ethernet cable connected device (laptop or PC) drops out at the same time, but as the TV does it might mean that there is a problem on the network connection from the Hub.

So, first check that all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing (rabbit chews!). Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to go through a login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom middle of the first page up and then copy/paste 3 sets of data onto here from the pages with the downstream, upstream, & network logs. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read but DON'T include any personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out first.

--------------------