cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Tidy Up

f19ajw
Tuning in

I have had/have a couple of issues with my M500 broadband disconnecting.

I current have VM HUB3 in router mode, with 3 switched connected

Back of VM HUB3

Port 1 RJ45 to NVR Camera Recorder

Port2 RJ45 to Livingroom Switch

Port3 RJ45 to Garage Switch (Connected a 9 Port POE for 7 Cameras and leads to 2 more Switched Bedroom1/Bedroom2)

Port4 Leads to WD My Cloud Home

It was mentioned on here not to use HUB3 as a router, but use it in Modem mode and connect my own router...  This would be to limit the length of LAN Leads and Traffic bottleknecking to a single LAN Port Connection.

So How about this option
HUB3 Port 1 to NEW Router as follows

New Router = TP-Link AX1800 with Mesh Capability

New Router Mesh Wi-Fi Extender with LAN = TP-Link AC1900 for Garage

New Router Mesh Wi-Fi Extender with LAN = TP-Link AC1900 for Bedroom1 and supply Wi-Fi signal to Bedroom2 as well

This option now would not require an RJ45 from HUB3 to the Garage

This Option now would not require an RJ45 from Garage to Bedroom1

This Option now would not require an RJ45 from Bedroom1 to Bedroom2

What do you think ?

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
When you connect your own router to the Hub in modem mode the LAN ports on the Router can be used to plug in the same connections you currently have into the Hub. Etherenet cabling is always the best solution. Does that not work for you currently?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

f19ajw
Tuning in

After a few days running the VM Router as a Modem through my TP-Link Archer AX1800 not had any disconnections and all wifi has excellent up/down date using the connected mesh.

One can only suggest that, even when the VM was replaced with a new one, setup of all LAN and WiFi connections established, it still kept disconnecting at least every couple of hours indicating that there was an issue with the VM Router capable of handling the variations of connections (not a substancial).

Also, there has been a slight improvement on download speed since using the TP-Link through WiFi and LAN.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By and large the VM hubs are excellent modems, but rubbish as a router, Wifi or network switch. A lot of users are going over to their own networking equipment, I have never used any of my VM hubs in router mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2