Menu
gcarter
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Network Switch To Speed Up Performance

Have the latest Superb 3.0 at home connected to Virgins VIVID 350 offering and am very happy with the performance of this.

DS214play-2-920x781.png

Currently the only devices which are plugged into the ethernet ports on the superhub, are a Synology NAS, the TIVO box and an Amazon Fire TV

However my question is one of load sharing...

efbdb410f0c22c53d7d695dd3a9bbdbcda202cf4.png

I dug out a Network Switch (NETGEAR GS105 ProSafe 5-port) and was curious to ascertain if I daisy chain this into the superhub and then transfer the NAS and FIRETV into the netgear switch, whether or not I would experience a performance gain?

The NAS is used heavily to stream HD content from its hard drives to the FIRETV running PLEX and KODI

Considering that both the superhub and netgear have gigabit ethernet speeds, my train of thought was that as most of the high volume traffic is flowing between the NAS and the FIRETV, transferring the x2 devices to the network switch should ease the load on the superhub which primary use is 7 or 8 devices connected the 5ghz wifi.

Whats hurting my head though, is would the switch take care of the heavy lifting between the NAS and FIRETV or would I have to make some changes on the superhub to make sure this is the case?

Im not a networking expert by a long stretch (hence the forum thread)
To recap on my questions...

• Would plugging the NAS and FIRETV directly into the switch improve wired performance?
  • Does one need to make any config changes on the superhub to insure that traffic between these x2 devices is handled by the netgear switch?
  • Any changes needed to the network config of the NAS?
  • Perhaps use a different subnet on the netgear switch?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network Switch To Speed Up Performance

Unless the Hub 3 isn't capable of switching all 4 ports at wire speed you shouldn't see a performance gain from using a switch, you would however introduce a potential bottleneck if two devices connected to the Hub both wanted to pull 1gbps from two devices connected to the switch as the switch would only have 1gbps of bandwidth to the Hub.

It'd be best in this case to move everything to a switch if you're in need of more ports.
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There is some evidence that a network switch is more efficient than the hub's, so use it. Also traffic will flow from the NAS to the Fire TV through the switch and not go via the hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
gcarter
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses so far Smiley Happy

When I talk about performance, it's more of a visual observation of delays am looking to improve.  

So for example, if I'm scrubbing through HD content via the firetv stored on the nas, I would hope to see less lag using a dedicated switch as apposed to directly using the superhub?  Interesting comment on bottleneck though, considering as stated that both devices are gigabit capable.  

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'd be surprised if the scrubbing performance would be affected at all, the latency difference if there is one should be negligible in such an application, and it wouldn't be putting the connection under significant load either.

I'd imagine the delay is more affected by how exactly it's handling the scrubbing, for example with my Plex setup the server has already pre processed still frames used for scrubbing previews so they load instantaneously, if the device is having to load the media and then produce the still frame itself on demand that'll have more overhead involved.
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@gcarter wrote:

So for example, if I'm scrubbing through HD content via the firetv stored on the nas, I would hope to see less lag using a dedicated switch as apposed to directly using the superhub?  Interesting comment on bottleneck though, considering as stated that both devices are gigabit capable.  

in the example you give you would see zero difference if you used a switch.

Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My view is that it would be marginally quicker as the hub does not have dedicated switch chips and has to rely on its CPU to pass data. Also gain possibly if your broadband connections goes down or goes “flaky” because in that scenario the hub would be using a lot of CPU power to recover the connection. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 3 actually has a Broadcom BCM53124S dedicated switch chip handling layer 2 switching, if the CPU was handling switching performance would be annihilated. There shouldn't really be any reason it can't function perfectly as a layer 2 switch.
0 Kudos