cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Log Issues on SH5 and broken BQM

Noughtboy
Tuning in

PART 1

Since mid January 2023, I have been having major issues with network logs on the SH5. Since then, there have been days when:
1) the log is completely blank;
2) or the earlier dates are show but not more recent ones (which had been available); or
3) the router has not been reset yet miraculously Upstream T1-T4 timeouts are 0; or

4) the router has not been reset yet miraculously Downstream Pre RS/Post RS are zeroed; or
5) the router has not been reset yet miraculously "Correcteds" and Uncorrectables have decreased.

How is this possible? Additionally, in the last couple of weeks, when the data is copied to Excel for monitoring (done almost daily for almost two years), the formatting is way off and day and month can appear in one cell and the date is sitting in one below. Or the cells are merged. Or the Day and Month are there but not the date. 

PART 2

Secondly, I have started to get long periods of solid red on my Thinkbroadband BQM when the router was definitely on and being used. Probably around a similar time. TB solution to set "Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP" or "Tick the WAN Respond Box" are not options in the Advanced menu.

WTH is going on?

TIA
NB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you checked that your WAN IP is correct?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Noughtboy
Tuning in
Oh, in case it is relevant, it is running in "Router mode", the two frequencies are split, "auto channel selection" is selected and "Channel Optimisation" is enabled.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you checked that your WAN IP is correct?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Could be for the best to get your own router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I did by "editing" BQM and checking against whatsmyip. It is all correct. 

Under Firewall settings, all are selected apart from "Block fragmented IP packets". I cannot find any other setting under the Router "Advanced" menu to do with WAN. I have checked under "Wireless", "Security", etc etc and nada.

It looks something like this:

Noughtboy_0-1678262047436.png

or this:

Noughtboy_1-1678262116665.png

You literally get the picture. The service is not down (I would have known by the collective wailing and gnashing of teeth). So, the question, is why is this happening and how to fix it?

TIA
SDS

@Noughtboy wrote:

You literally get the picture. The service is not down (I would have known by the collective wailing and gnashing of teeth). So, the question, is why is this happening and how to fix it?

For a stable BQM get your own router with 1Gb put hub in modem mode. VM know how important BQM but clear do not know the reason why it happens even the one dong the firmware does not know. But make guess it a load of ICMP incoming happing and the blocks for a random which unless codes to be random or the fact their is still a load of ICMP incoming happing keeps on blocking is unknown.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As a test try selecting “Block fragmented IP packets“ in the Firewall and monitor for a while. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OK Adduxi, I have done that and will see if there are any changes. Thanks for the tip. Will report back on the findings

That didn't seem to do the trick. Large swathes of "Red" still abound. 

Noughtboy_0-1678433682218.png

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Noughtboy, thanks for all the posts and replies and sorry to see of the issues you've had with your connection.

We can see that your hub is on modem mode currently, this 

Could you please advise how things look after your latest post and has the above issues been occurring while 3rd party equipment has been connected?

Has this improved the connection or has any of the advice from our VIP members above resolved the network log issue?

We're here to help where needed, please let us know.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs