cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Drops between 2/2:30pm Daily

AdrianG2681
Tuning in

Is there a reason why the Internet connection drops between 2-2:30pm Daily?

My wife and I both work from home and it disconnects our VPN every day at the same time. I upgraded to 200mb to try resolve it but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Incidentally, 200mb was supposed to sustain 80+ devices but it barely works on 3 or 4!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Adrian,

VM are terrible at customer support. Literally terrible. I have got in touch with them previously regarding Wifi issues in the past and they have used a variety of reasons for the drop outs, weather, downtime (yet nothing had been reported regarding downtime), conflicting signals in the area, they even blamed Covid for the cause ! ! ! ! They also poked around my router within Admin and said that 17 devices is too much for the router to support? I mean, what sort of people do these guys seriously employ. I have since setup my own home wifi with another connection for the other devices and will probably move over to BT, in hope that they're more technically aware of their products.

A solution for you my friend hopefully? One thing I did try is by setting the VM Router from automatic 2.4/5ghz to being split channelled. And then I would just connect my devices to either the 5ghz or the 2.4ghz Wifi. My thoughts were that the Router would switch the auto channel that was assigned to a device to "how it sees fit" at the time, hence the drop in connection. For some of my devices it has resolved the issue.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @AdrianG2681,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having at the moment with your connection and there shouldn't be any reason why this is happening to your connection daily.

Does this happen at weekends or just week days?

Do you have issues at any other time of the day, like the early evening from 5pm onwards?

Regards,

Steven_L

It happens daily. Week days and weekends.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for that information AdrianG2681,

Welcome back to the community.

From checking our service I can't see any readings that would contribute to the dropouts, I know it's quite an obvious thing to ask however can I ask whereabouts is the Hub placed in relation to equipment and/or in a well ventilated area?

Also are the cables securely fastened too?

Thanks,

Kain

Yeah everything is connected. The router is in a small bedroom that is now an office. It's not enclosed, the WiFi is terrible so I bought an extender but nothing seems to work. The WiFi is terrible, the internet keeps dropping - even connected with a cat5e cable. I'm starting to regret renewing my contract because there's no way I get 200mb download (even contractually I'm supposed to get at least 108mb but that doesn't happen either!)

Hi @AdrianG2681, thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry to hear this, does the wifi seem to drop out when your third party extender isn't connected? I appreciate the signal may be significantly less but it'd be interesting to know if this was a factor.

Additionally, we would also recommend at least a Category 6 (or 6e) ethernet cable for optimum performance over a wired connection, so you can get our guaranteed speeds.

Unfortunately, wifi speeds are not part of the speed guarantee so can you confirm that when you refer to getting under the 108mbps minimum, this is via your wired connection through ethernet or a wifi speed test?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Adrian,

VM are terrible at customer support. Literally terrible. I have got in touch with them previously regarding Wifi issues in the past and they have used a variety of reasons for the drop outs, weather, downtime (yet nothing had been reported regarding downtime), conflicting signals in the area, they even blamed Covid for the cause ! ! ! ! They also poked around my router within Admin and said that 17 devices is too much for the router to support? I mean, what sort of people do these guys seriously employ. I have since setup my own home wifi with another connection for the other devices and will probably move over to BT, in hope that they're more technically aware of their products.

A solution for you my friend hopefully? One thing I did try is by setting the VM Router from automatic 2.4/5ghz to being split channelled. And then I would just connect my devices to either the 5ghz or the 2.4ghz Wifi. My thoughts were that the Router would switch the auto channel that was assigned to a device to "how it sees fit" at the time, hence the drop in connection. For some of my devices it has resolved the issue.

I have 14 devices (although 200mb is supposed to handle upto 84 devices) and getting 1 to work properly on VM WiFi with internet connection is impossible. 2pm again today and internet dropped for no reason. Had to reboot router (becoming a daily event!) 

I set the extender to 5ghz, but then found anything connected to extender didn't connect to internet. It's just terrible. I expect at least 108mb internet connection uninterrupted yet get 0mb at 2pm every single day!!

Needless to say I'll be moving to another provider once my contract is up. Even my old Vodafone DSL connection was better than "virgin media ultra fast fibre" - it's a joke!

Yep its a complete joke.

On my post the guys stated the following... see the bold text.

They believe that just because the issue hasn't been seen since (note I've been away for a couple of weeks), they think the issue is resolved.

I agree, change provider, don't look back at Terrible Media.

"I can thoroughly appreciate your disappointment regarding this issue, although thankfully you've not had any further issues since your post - at least it would not appear so.

Unfortunately, we aren't able to inform customers generally for the reasons caused behind network dropouts, as our priority is to get these fixed as soon as possible and I'm pleased that we have done so for you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any disruption caused and just for your reassurance, I've ran further checks on your line and all seems well going forwards."

Hi @adrian, thanks for coming back to let us know the devices you have connected.

Can you please also confirm if you have been able to run a wired and wireless speed test with just 1 device connected each time to see if this makes a difference?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules