cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear router and Hub 3 problem

Speg77
Tuning in

Netgear AC1600 and Hub 3 questions

Yesterday I tried to install the Netgear AC1600 to my Virgin Hub 3, set on Modem mode all looked like it was going to plan but then I could only get 'WiFi connected but no Internet' when trying to connect.
I spoke to Netgear tech help, but no luck. We checked the Hub 3 on modem mode wired directly to my laptop but it wouldn't connect in modem mode at all. We reset the router, reset the modem, but still no joy. They told me they think my modem doesn't work, but after resetting it and going back to the Hub 3 in WiFi mode it works with my devices as before.
Does anyone have any ideas on what's going wrong please?

19 REPLIES 19

sophist
Trouble shooter

Follow this method to put the hub in modem mode / get your netgear connected…

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode

The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub

Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system

Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down

Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working.

I followed that to the letter but still no joy, exactly the same as before. 

sophist
Trouble shooter

When you connect the netgear (or any other device) to the hub via ethernet do you get a link light on the ethernet port on the hub to indicate that there’s a connection?

I only ever get the power light green and the WiFi light solid green. The light never comes on for Internet, so that means no ethernet connection between the modem and the router. Is it possible its the cable causing the problem?

If the hub is in modem mode the base light should be magenta not green and you shouldn’t get any WiFi lights. 

Apologies I thought you meant the router. The hub does get a link light is that the one with two arrows?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Speg77 wrote:

Apologies I thought you meant the router. The hub does get a link light is that the one with two arrows?

As stated previously the base light should be magenta.  If it's in Modem mode, the admin web pages are accessed via 192.168.100.1  If you can't get into Modem mode you may need to do a full 60 second pin hole reset to factory settings.  Do not reboot after the reset just let the Hub do it's thing.  

You should be able to get back into the Hub on 192.168.0.1 after the reset and try to put it into Modem mode again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have already been able to put the Hub 3 into modem mode, thats not a problem. I dont understand why you think it is?

@Speg77 wrote:
I have already been able to put the Hub 3 into modem mode, thats not a problem. I dont understand why you think it is?

And no other devices are wired to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi