cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear nighthawk AX1800 to hub 3 modem/router

shazza2971
Tuning in

Hi, 

Noticed a few have resorted to 3rd part routers.  I decided to go for the NETGEAR nighthawk after getting some good reviews of it.

i have one problem, it connects to my hub3 only when the Hub3 is in router mode.

When i put the Hub3 in modem mode, the light turns red(which i'm told is the correct colour) the nighthawk say cable connected - OK  but the internet connection isn't there.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub needs to be powered off after setting in Modem mode. Then set your Router to DHCP / Automatic WAN IP.  Connect the Router WAN port to the Hub Ethernet post using Cat 6a cable. Power on the Hub and wait 5 to 10 minutes to stabilise. Your Router should now have a WAN IP. This only needs to be done the first time, after it’s working you can power cycle in any order. 

EDIT - John beat me to it ! 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Connect using this sequence

Set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
..and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your own router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub needs to be powered off after setting in Modem mode. Then set your Router to DHCP / Automatic WAN IP.  Connect the Router WAN port to the Hub Ethernet post using Cat 6a cable. Power on the Hub and wait 5 to 10 minutes to stabilise. Your Router should now have a WAN IP. This only needs to be done the first time, after it’s working you can power cycle in any order. 

EDIT - John beat me to it ! 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks I'll give that a go, it probably the switching off that I didn't do.

thanks seem the common theme is switch off the hub3 modem after its changed.  it did say it was rebooting it, so i thought that was enough

Hi shazza2971, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you were having some issues getting the router connected to the Hub. 

Anytime you connect or disconnect or make any changes, it's always worth turning the Hub off and then back on for any changes to take effect. 

If you do have any further issues, pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have done all of this, in this order and still can’t seem to connect to the internet at all. 

@lousyseahawk wrote:

I have done all of this, in this order and still can’t seem to connect to the internet at all. 

Connect a PC to hub and change to modem mode if no internet power off for 2mins and try again unplug replug ethernet till you get internet then connect PC to your router (not hub) log in find MAC clone apply with your PC MAC then connect WAN port of your router to hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Have you set the router correctly ?

see page 24 in the manual Here  ( assuming that’s the correct model).  No login required.  Set for assign address automatically, automatic DNS, default MAC (8,9,10).   This should use DHCP and get a WAN (public) IP address.

or use the wizard?

If that still fails if you have a laptop try connecting it, and only it, via Ethernet to the hub and see if you get internet 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!