Menu
Flaura88
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix won’t work at all

Netflix used to work a couple of months ago then our router was changed and since then it won’t load Netflix at all. We’re trying to access Netflix on the app on Apple TV, on laptops, iPads and iPhones using Virgin Media Broadband. It doesn’t work on any of them. If I use a different WiFi network (ie at work or at a friends house) then Netflix works perfectly. 

I have had several calls with Virgin and they have failed to help me. One technician on your customer service line who I spoke to yesterday said that the new routers (the one that we have) has firmware that is not compatible with Netflix. This cannot be the case surely? 

Please help! 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix won’t work at all

Hello Flaura88

How frustrating I wonder what is going on, perhaps Netflix have blocked your IP address or the hub firewall is causing issues? For diagnostic purposes is it worth trying the hub in modem only mode as that will eliminate the router part of the hub but also issue a new public IP address and take it from there.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Flaura88
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou Nicola.

Netflix assured us that they cannot block IP addresses so that is not the case. We have now put our Virgin Super Hub 3 router into modem only mode and used a Netgear router and Netflix and Amazon now works perfectly. This proves that it is a problem with Virgin routers blocking Netflix and Amazon or not being compatible with them, which is crazy. Why are these routers being installed if they don't work with the streaming services that people use the most?

Madness.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Netflix cannot block IP addresses?  I think they have been telling porkies.

Netflix will block any IP address that they suspect of being a VPN or proxy server, quite vigorously so they get a lot of false positives, so innocent IP addresses can get caught up in their blocks. (The internet is awash will posts about it)

If there was a compatibility problem with VM's routers, no VM customers in router mode at all will be able to use the streaming services.

The Hub in modem mode will give you a new IP address, is that not proof that the IP address is being blocked?

0 Kudos
Jeade
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think we have found the solution. By changing the Passthrough settings on the Superhub - all of a sudden we have Netflix working again.

We have just spent 2 days talking to both Virgin and Netflix. They have been utmost unhelpful and not even prepared to go through and guide you through any settings on their own HUB/platforms.

Netflix suddenly stopped working with the message that we probably had a proxy or VPN creating a block.
Virgin claimed that they don't block anything. It must be Netflix. It's really too boring to go in to any detail here...

This is what to do on the SuperHub 2ac

Log on to your hub via a webbrowser by typing 192.168.0.1 in to the address field.

Go to Advanced in the bottom right corner

Click on Firewall under the Security section.

This is where you tick all 3 options under the "Passthrough" section:

V IPSec Pass-Through
V PPTP Pass-Through
V Multicast Pass-Through

CLICK ON APPLY! and you should be done.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Bedelia2
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have also had this issue since November 2017.  Until then, Netflix worked fine on my laptop and phone.  Since then, I can log into Netflix and get notifications from them, but previews don't load (showing blank boxes under title) and shows won't stream or download, just buffer endlessly and then show error S7037-1105 (connection error).  I don't have set-top box, just using wifi and Netflix app of laptop, phone, or iPad.  

I think it may be due to some change of settings at Virgin's end in Nov 2017, when there was a speed upgrade; I haven't changed any settings myself and Netflix never stopped working on other servers.

Wifi works fine with any other streaming service (Amazon, Google, etc), and Netflix works fine on 3/4G or any other wifi.  I've spent literally days on the phone to both Virgin (who say there is no issue at their end) and Netflix (who say it's not them either).  

I have tried the "pass through" suggestions and using ethernet cable, but no joy.  I have effectively given up on trying to get this fixed and download things on other people's wifi to watch later at home, but resent the fact I'm paying for 2 services that don't work together at my home address and neither offers a fix.  

Any other ideas?  Preferably from actual Virgin tech support, who should fix it for all of us.  (The phone line is useless; incoherent - can't respond off script - and endlessly passing the buck to different departments, then cutting off the call after hours on hold.)

0 Kudos
Bedelia2
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

P.S. I have the Superhub 2ac - and, yes, I've been through the whole thing of trying to change to Google DNS or whatever.  No joy.  Whatever they tell me they have done at Virgin's end, it hasn't worked, and they haven't been able to explain it.  

Mostly, I just get cut off on their phone line after hours of being passed from pillar to post.  

0 Kudos