cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix blocking shows due to vpn?

Rob52001
On our wavelength

Hi. Ive seen this problem on here a few times and now I’m experiencing it. 
Some Netflix shows are being blocked due to me using a vpn which i am not. Netflix advised talking to virgin which is basically impossible so has anyone had any success resolving this issue. 
Its definitely a wifi problem as it works fine on my phone with wifi turned off. 
Thanks. 

19 REPLIES 19

You are wrong. Ive not had help in the past to help me get better movies. 
So far virgin have replaced router to try a different ip, didnt help. Netflix have been bo help. They insist its a isp problem and have advised me to change provider!! 
Im now waiting for virgin tech to see what they say. 

You need to go back to Netflix.  Ask them (Is my SPECIFIC IP blocked -OR- is that my IP Subnet is blocked?).  They will likely not know how to answer the question or just say IP.

False positives shouldn't happen, though it's possible.  If someone else is running a proxy on the same subnet as you (That is a INBOUND proxy, so letting USA users watch via their VM connection to get UK content) then it's possible Netflix is blocking your IP range because of this.

Go somewhere like https://www.whatismyip.com/ and tell us if it shows the location correctly (UK).  Do be aware that some IP blocks Virgin hold still are tagged to other parts of the world, so it COULD be that your being given one of those IP's but that's doubtful - I don't keep up with IP block movement and honestly wouldn't expect it to be an issue.

Do you allow others to "share" your connection, like ToR, VPN, or any other sharing/tunneling methods?

Do note, If your trying to use IPv6 on VM via a "Tunnelbroker" then you will get blocked, because it's a "tunnel".

Resetting your SH shouldn't change what's happening.  The only setting you can use in the HUB/SuperHub/WhateverVMcallsItTheseDays is the DNS server, but if you haven't modified that then that's not your problem either.

Share with us the Exact Netflix ErrorCode when trying to watch UK content.  Also, does "Extra" content show up, like American or German or ... or ....?

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Thanks for reply. 
Whats  my ip is showing my correct location.

Nobody else shares my connection  that im aware of.

No idea how to modify the dns. 

The error code is when i try to watch usa series or movies such as The office USA. 
It was something like This title is unavailable as you are using a vpn. Now it just says unavailable to watch in your area. 
Its also not constant as it was available yesterday but not today. 

Hi @Rob52001 thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear your Netflix issue is ongoing.  Are you also a TV customer with us?  If so, are you having the issue via your set top box as well as any devices?

Regards

Lee_R

Have you tried completely signing out of Netflix and login back in after rebooting everything?

It does seem that the issue is wtih Netflix or something in the equipment you are using has got a non-standard DNS.

Have you tried any other devices other than the tv?

@Rob52001 wrote:

Thanks for reply. 
Whats  my ip is showing my correct location.

Nobody else shares my connection  that im aware of.

No idea how to modify the dns. 

The error code is when i try to watch usa series or movies such as The office USA. 
It was something like This title is unavailable as you are using a vpn. Now it just says unavailable to watch in your area. 
Its also not constant as it was available yesterday but not today. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Netflix is losing money and have staff constantly working on schemes to block people wrongly sharing logins or watching out of region shows. It changes day by day and there will inevitably be false positives.

Are you sure the shows that are blocked are genuinely available to a UK subscription? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Rob52001
On our wavelength

Yes set top box and mobile phone. 
I dont have this problem on my phone if i turn off data. 

Rob52001
On our wavelength

Yes the shows are genuinely available. They work sometimes. 

Rob52001
On our wavelength
Re: Netflix blocking shows due to vpn?

2 minutes ago

Sorry, this should say I dont have this problem on my phone if i turn off wifi. 

@Rob52001 wrote:
Re: Netflix blocking shows due to vpn?

2 minutes ago

Sorry, this should say I dont have this problem on my phone if i turn off wifi. 

Yea.  Everyone agrees with you that the issue is when you are on your VM connection.

https://www.whatismyip.com/proxy-check/ and https://whatismyipaddress.com/proxy-check both show that there is "no proxy"?  Can you tell us what "DNS servers" are showing on your devices when connected to Virgin Media? (If you need help with this, state the type of phone).

Actually changing the DNS server might fix the issue for you too (tho it shouln't), something like 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare).  The DNS servers you SHOULD have listed by default are 194.168.4.100/194.168.8.100 (Virgin Media's DNS).  This is not something the end user should need to tinker with to get things to work.

You need to push Netflix more to explain why your blocked.  I know they push it off to the ISP's but hopefully you will get someone who can explain it in some detail.  Checking for people who are bypassing restrictions can have mistakes, perhaps you have just been unlucky - but the mistake should clear itself as long as your not using a VPN, Tunnel, or non-standard DNS settings.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.