Re: Netflix Unusable Because Proxy Use Detected

No I'm not using a proxy 

0 Kudos
Wolfie14
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It started all of a sudden this weekend. Yes it's on mobile phones and tablets and a Mac book 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

quick possible solution it go to netflix web site, choose sign out on all devices, then sign them back in , one at a time and see if they work.

could someone else have your netflix credentials and be messing with your account ?

may be time to change your netflix password if its not been changed for a while

are you sure no program has messed with the DNS settings on your devices. e.g. have you joined any consumer survey where you agreed to let them track your internet usage, in exchange for some small reward. the junk they install for that will probably trash your Netflix

that messages usually appears when netflix detects an attempt to fake being in a different region e.h. trying to watch netflix USA, from UK, or when they detect that you are using a VPN. you may have goog legit reasons for wanting to use a VPN but netflix have decided to block their service to anyone who does that, unless you can find an undetectable VPN.

if you have a virgin tivo or V6, which definitely and only use virgin's own network settings, does netflix work on that or do you get the same proxy warning error

if the virgin TV route works, then its an issue with other device local settings, if not,then its a more serious issue, but if Netflix have decided to block your external IP address, thy should admit to that ?

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@cybmole wrote:

that messages usually appears when netflix detects an attempt to fake being in a different region e.h. trying to watch netflix USA, from UK, or when they detect that you are using a VPN. you may have goog legit reasons for wanting to use a VPN but netflix have decided to block their service to anyone who does that, unless you can find an undetectable VPN.

That message also appears if you use a tunnel to allow IPv6 on your network (such as HE's tunnel broker service) as Netflix assumes that you're in the US (from the IPv6 address that you're allocated).

Netflix help for this error is here (sign in may be required).

0 Kudos
Wolfie14
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

We share our Netflix with family living in Sweden. Do you think this could be an issue ? I myself are not that tech savvy :-(

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

either way it would be good to know if problem is solved, and waht worked as a solution

there's a huge discussion thread on reddit which I used to follow, called netflix by proxy, which detailed all the workarounds ( 99% broken) for netflix's aggressive proxy blocks https://www.reddit.com/r/NetflixByProxy/

i gave up on that a year ago, as there was nothing USA only I particularly  wanted to watch, that justified the risk of messing up my working UK subscription

I did make one recent attempt though. Season 2 of the Norwegian TV show - Occupied - came out and was promoted as coming to UK netflix, but then SKY grabbed an exclusive,netflix UK cancelled it. and it was impossible to buy a legit stream from anyone e.g. amazon video  , though they have it now. I did get episode 1 to stream on USA netflix using a smart DNS proxy on PC, but could not get episode 2 to work. It is available for about £10 now at amazon video ,if you don't have sky .

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Wolfie14 wrote:

We share our Netflix with family living in Sweden. Do you think this could be an issue ? I myself are not that tech savvy :-(

possibly-  if you and they are both watching at the same time - on  a 2 screen package, N begin to wonder how you can be in 2 countries at once.

but on the other hand- your netflix subscription entitles you to watch from anywhere in the world, so you can use it when travelling - you just get the shows for the country you are in at the time. e.g. if you and your laptop are actually in the USA - visiting- , you can see all the USA only shows

also, N had to tweak some stuff to comply with EU rules - is sweden in or out of EU ? ( i think the Eu rule is you have to be able to watch all the stuff on your watchlist from any EU country , but google it if you want more definite info )

there used to be a Nordic region netflix - v good if you liked nordic Noir TV shows like The Bridge, The killing.... , and that had its own access rules which I am not up to speed on

that's not really a discussion you want to have with netflix, they are OK with a don't ask, don't tell policy but its a slight cheat.

i share our account with my son but he's only a mile away and we have th 4 screens at once package anyway, so it can cope with me, my wife, him, his wife, all online at the same time.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Wolfie14 wrote:

No, it shouldn't cause the error you're seeing.  You can use Netflix anywhere provided that you don't exceed the number of screens you've subscribed to at the one time (and that gives you a different warning anyway).

It could be just a glitch that you're seeing that error if you've not done anything (like add a VPN or create an IPv6 tunnel) or it could be that Netflix have mis-classified a Virgin Media IP address as a proxy/unblocker. 

From your screenshot it also looks like you're using a tablet, have you tried on another device in case you've another app on the tablet that is pushing traffic through a VPN  - some browsers do this to reduce data usage (Opera for one has that option) and some security apps (Lookout for example) can push your data through a VPN and call it "safe browsing".

0 Kudos