cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest doorbell going offline hub3

Racked-off
Tuning in

My nest doorbell worked perfectly for 2 years, then constantly dropping off line. 
Stays on at night sometimes then from 8am goes offline every 10minutes for 3 minutes.

Google /Nest believe it is a router issue. Tend to agree looking at other users posts.

Done a factory reset on doorbell/hub/ had hub replaced by virgin. Works for a bit then keeps going offline.

Logged into hub, lots of critical messages in network log. 
What have Virgin changed/updated.
Are the Hub3’s just rubbish?

Anyone got any the answer?

23 REPLIES 23

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

know absolutely nothing about them but you say you have reset the hub - that will join the 2 wifi bands and that may not be good for the doorbell - check its spec and se if it is happy on the 5 and the 2.4 band being joined - my guess is it will not - if thats the case you need to log into hub and split the bands then point the doorbell at one or the other - more likely the 2.4

Tony.
Sacked VIP

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Look at using the hub in modem mode and get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tony, I think the virgin engineer tried that on the old hub3 before it was replaced. It worked for a bit I believe.

To be honest I don’t know how to split the 5G-2G. The nest doorbell definitely only uses 2g

The hub used to let you select which band you wanted to use. Virgin have merged them and caused this issue.

Any info on how do do this gratefully received🙋🏻‍♂️

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:
Look at using the hub in modem mode and get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports.

is that the best you can do - i bet you wish you had a £1 for every time you have posted that useless answer

Tony.
Sacked VIP

log into the hub and search for the wifi security page - it will have an ssid and password setting - the ssid will be the same for the 2.4 and 5 band just rename one of them - save and exit - you can then point the doorbell at the ssid for the 2.4 band

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks Tony, managed to split 2g-5G. Rebooted the doorbell and it is working. 
Let’s  see if it’s working in an hour🤞🏻
thanks for the support🙋🏻‍♂️

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You mentioned the network log was full of critical errors - it does tend to always look like a digital crime scene, but within that sometimes there's clues to connection problems that seem to be wifi, but are the broadband connection.  Suggest you do the following - I can't promise we'll find anything, but given what you've mentioned it's worth taking a closer look:  Go into the hub's status pages and open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an unhelpful error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time. 

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Racked-off

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 🙂 

I'm so glad to see the Community was able to advise you on this and that you've managed to get this resolved. 

If you have any further problems with your service from here, please let us know and we'll happily advise. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jhuk
Trouble shooter

The Smart setting in the HUB like Channel Optimisation/Auto channel etc used to randomly kick some off my smart devices (think they were all on 2.4GHZ no 5GHz devices were effected) but it no longer does this.

My Nest Hello issue were due to the PSU which worked for a while, I had to get a higher rated one and many of my issues were gone.