Menu
DTollman
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Nest cameras continually disconnecting

I have two outdoor nest cameras (front and back of house). They were working fine until Monday and now they are both continually connecting and disconnecting from the network. I get a motion alert every time the camera reconnects (yesterday there were something like 540 alerts!) I haven't changed any settings on the router. I thought maybe the rainy weather was causing some interference, but today it is sunny and the issue is the same. Is this Virgin Media applying some kind of usage cap due to the video streaming? Any other ideas what might be causing the problem?

Screen shot of connection history below. Shows that camera is mostly offline and then reconnects briefly every 5 mins or so.

Thanks!

Connection history.JPG

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nest cameras continually disconnecting

You dont say, but are the cameras connected on wifi or by ethernet cable?  If on wifi are you on the 2.4 or 5 GHz network? Also what Hub model do you have?  If on wifi, the most likely explanation (no VM caps as far as I am aware) is that something nearby has changed your wifi environment around the cameras locations.  Something changed in the house? Neighbour may have switched on a powerful wifi router causing interference.  One thing to try is to get a good wifi analyser App for your smartphone or laptop and survey the environment at the location of the cameras

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bogdanpopey
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have Lorex camera system which worked perfectly with BT hub 5 and Sky Q hub routers, but the moment i connected with Virgin media Hub 3.0 issues started. So it connects for about 5-7 minutes and then disconnects. Then reconnects again for another 5 minutes. And the pattern follows.

I've tried even hacking a bt hub 5 and made it access point and connected the cameras to it (nvr unit i mean :)) and the same pattern.

And when i looked inside virgin's hub 3.0 settings to check if the ip of the nvr system appears it didn't. But i guessed the IP and could connect to the nvr. So it is very weird why it is not displayed in the ip table of devices connected, even if i can connect to it.

Regards,

Bogdan Popescu

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Poor router mode not up to the challenge you may find your problems go away if you use modem mode on the hub with your own router that has 1Gb ports.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi bogdanpopey, thank you for getting in touch and welcome to the Community. 

Have you updated the SSID within the Hub settings so that you are able to switch between the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz connection? Manually switching to the 2.4GHz may be a better option for a device at a distance from the Hub. 

Thanks, 

Nat
0 Kudos