cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

Thanks John - I have set up that monitor (didn't know they existed!).

Pretty sure it is not just a wifi problem as the ps4 drops out too, which is connected via ethernet.

Have you resolved this issue?  I've been having the same problem everyday since October and VM keep fobbing me off with excuses about peak time traffic.  

No this hasn't been resolved. The engineer came and swapped a cable over and said the readings were much better. Within 24 hours the broadband was dropping a couple of times a day. Sadly I have had to resign myself to the fact that Virgin Broadband is rubbish.

I spoke to my neighbours and they've not been having the same problem.  I've had the new hub and new wires, therefore I can only assume it's the cabling that runs into the house that has a fault. Have you had someone check this out?  I've got another engineer's visit on Saturday...unfortunately everyone at VM seems to ignore the ongoing problem once the connection is live again after a reset.  

A small portion of cabling was replaced (from the wall to the router) but not the entire length.

To be honest, I get fed up going through the same issues with them. If I didn't have a Virgin email address (that is non-transferable) I would be off.

I hear you - unfortunately no one else but Virgin can provide us fibre where we are, so we're stuck with the fight.  Would love to switch back to plusnet. 

May be time to set up a BQM at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal coming into the property, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

I set one up a few weeks ago - hopefully the link below works.

Https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/921811852796fbf0b6501e38de523b2b043c6ff1

Is that a reboot showing red at 08:45 or a dropped connection?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

It dropped out around 10:30 last night and I had to reboot at 8:45 this morning.  

If you look back at the previous days you can see the latency has some spikes.