cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

My internet connectivity is STILL CR&P. My broadband connection STILL drops every day and I STILL need to reset the router every day.

I recently renewed my contract with VM following assurances from the renewals guy that notes would be put on my account that would ensure that as soon as I contacted Technical they would 100% ensure that my problem would get sorted. If that needed a new router then that would be an easy fix... (their words not mine!)

Working at home I really need a good connection but it has been consistently rubbish.  With further lockdown restrictions, another two members of my family are having to work from home.  The connectivity situation has now deteriorated further unfortunately and I rang VM yesterday to request a fix. When my connection drops it is for every type of connection - wired and wireless (I am working on a laptop with a wired connection right next to the router). When this happens all of my family members are offline for at least 10 minutes whilst the router reboots.

When I got through to VM Technical team (after 40 minutes) the guy ran some checks and said he had made some "tweaks" and everything would be fine. Of course I was sceptical ! He advised me that he would be sending me an email containing information that would allow me to get in touch straight away if the problem recurs. Sadly this happened today (twice already) and yet again people who are trying to work from home cannot do so because I have yet again been fobbed off by VM Technical Department.

I checked the email that I had received - what a waste of time. The email gives me 3 better wifi tips. My internet connection drops altogether.

So, I tried contacting VM Technical Team again to try to get an engineer to attend site. I waited for 1 hour 15 minutes before they decided that I had waited long enough and cut me off completely.

Could somebody from VM get in touch with me please as I should not be putting up with this terrible service?

thanks

After posting about my rubbish connectivity (in what appears to be a dormant thread) I will post this again in the wild hope that VM will do something to resolve my internet which has been rubbish for around 11 months.

My internet connectivity is STILL CR&P. My broadband connection STILL drops every day and I STILL need to reset the router every day at least 3 times a day.

I recently renewed my contract with VM following assurances from the renewals guy that notes would be put on my account that would ensure that as soon as I contacted Technical they would 100% ensure that my problem would get sorted. If that needed a new router then that would be an easy fix... (their words not mine!)

Working at home I really need a good connection but it has been consistently rubbish.  With further lockdown restrictions, another two members of my family are having to work from home.  The connectivity situation has now deteriorated further unfortunately and I rang VM yesterday to request a fix. When my connection drops it is for every type of connection - wired and wireless (I am working on a laptop with a wired connection right next to the router). When this happens all of my family members are offline for at least 10 minutes whilst the router reboots.

When I got through to VM Technical team (after 40 minutes) the guy ran some checks and said he had made some "tweaks" and everything would be fine. Of course I was sceptical ! He advised me that he would be sending me an email containing information that would allow me to get in touch straight away if the problem recurs. Sadly this happened today (twice already *edit* now three times) and yet again people who are trying to work from home cannot do so because I have yet again been fobbed off by VM Technical Department.

I checked the email that I had received - what a waste of time. The email gives me 3 better wifi tips. My internet connection drops altogether.

So, I tried contacting VM Technical Team again to try to get an engineer to attend site. I waited for 1 hour 15 minutes before they decided that I had waited long enough and cut me off completely.

Could somebody from VM get in touch with me please as I should not be putting up with this terrible service?

thanks

Please keep to your existing thread - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Need-to-reset-router-every-day/m-p/4463063#...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Yes I would do if I thought that somebody who worked for VM actually looked at that older thread that I set up.

thanks for your help

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Your best bet is to get on the phone at 08.00 when people are reporting getting through fine with no waits.

Follow the prompts to thinking of leaving and ask them whether your notes show the 100% guarantee.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

My guess is it still isn't fixed.

I just didn't feel like reading through the 14 pages of posts when the last said it is not fixed. Has anyone spoken of SNR or signal to noise ratio? Sometimes an attenuator is needed in the cable from the wall, If that does not work try and get them to connect you to another node in the green box down the street. They just have to move your cable to another connector in the box.

Don't hold your breath, I have a friend that streams and the upload speed is half what they should have and VM won't do anything about it as they do not guarantee upload speed. They offered to let her end the contract with no penalty, and she has been a tech reporter for the BBC. 

I took it into my own hands with my connection and fitted an attenuator quite a few years ago and it stopped dropouts that were interfering with gaming and downloading.

I can't find my old post as I have lost 3 Virgin email addresses connected to 3 accounts on the forum and can not access them. They delete old Virgin email addresses with no notice. I have out lost dearly as I used them for all sorts of things before but now only use them for things I might get spam from.

This is a post from 

Jen_A

Virgin Forum Team (Retired)

******************* Downstream: no lower than -6dBmV and no higher than 10dBmV - Close to 0 is optimal.

Upstream: no lower than 31dBmV and no higher than 50dBmV - 44dBmV -46dBmV is optimal.

Some Hubs function perfectly well even when the power levels are slightly out of kilter so we like to take the power levels in context with any reported issue and other data. ***********************

You can check your SNR without even logging into the router. 

enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser address bar.  Click on Router status then on downstream and check the figure in the Power dBmv and check if it is between -6 and 10.  I now have between 1.5 and 5.9 now (not all shown) so well within the parameters and no dropouts for years..Virgin3routersnr.png

Not a VM employee but I have had 45 years in various tech jobs.

Nubster, I feel for you and I share your pain.  

I’ve been having the same internet drop outs for months on end now. Each one requiring a router reset, otherwise the internet just won’t come back.  I have a super hub 3. When I asked VM to send out an engineer to fix a problem they acknowledged existed, they refused unless I signed a new contract with them.  This was back in Jan 21. Absolutely shameful. Been with VM for almost 10 years; Ive been researching other providers ever since this episode.

I’ve also kept a log of all the drop outs since the and they seemed to come in 10 day waves.  It’s almost as if VM are choking the flow for some customers to guarantee good flow for others. The log is shown below. The last 2 or 3 weeks have been unbearable and today the download speeds wouldn’t stay above 10mbps.  

16th Januray 4 resets required. 
17th January. 2 resets required.  

27th January. 2 resets required.  
28th January.  3 reset required.

6th February. 2 resets required.  
7th February. 3 resets required.  
8th February. 1 reset required
9th February. 1 reset required. 

19th February. 1 reset required
20th February. 2 resets required.  
21st February. 1 reset required. 

9th March. 1 reset required.

16th March. 3 resets required.
17th march. 4 resets required.
18th march.  3 resets required.
19th March.  2 resets required. 

28th March. 5 resets required.

3rd april.  2 resets required.
4th april.  3 resets required

Hi DJayH,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing droops in your connection.

I have had a look our end and cannot see any issues at all, all your levels are exactly where they should be, I advise you to run a BQM (Broadband Quality Monitor) for 72 hours then post the results here, you can find this here.

Regards

Paul. 

Ok.  Here’s a link to my broadband monitor, as requested.  
Interesting to note the drop outs, of which I’ve had about 6 in the last 3 days.  The one that occurred yesterday morning only shows as a drop put at around 8am, when in actual fact, the internet had been down since 10pm the previous evening. I had been expecting the red bar to span several hours and was surprised to see the graph as it is. This means the the drop out is only logged when I turn the router off and on again. This tells me that internet connectivity between the super hub and the World Wide Web is possibly ok but the super hub is unable to distribute this feed to any of the devices around my home network. 
For added clarity, whenever I get these drop outs, my devices say they are on the WiFi network but they cannot access internet.
So the super hub has a wobble and can’t supply any devices with internet until it is restarted. 

link to monitor. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/152ca765fb68b1a35d8ae043aad3e84a2100626d-25-04-2021

Hi @DJayH,

Thank you for doing that and for sharing the graph results with us. From what I can see there are no major problems of concern being displayed there, and, as my colleague advised earlier in this thread, things appear to be fine on our end too.

Are the connection issues that you're experiencing also happening when using a wired connection, or does it seem that only a wireless/Wi-Fi connection is being affected?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!