cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

Katie

I hope you have something interesting to put forward.

Resetting every day is not practical and not warranted. I can use any of my transportable devices (iPhone, iPad, macbooks) on free wifi's in hotels, at wifi hotspots or visiting family and friends. Why am I continually unable to connect all my devices to my SH3 even when I put them right next to the thing!

Having 7/8 wired devices and a similar number of wifi devices, which would not all be in use at once, should not be a problem. It wasnt previously.

No, the connection does not come back. and my devices won't even communicate with each other over the same network.

Just to add, the devices that connect stay on (except the PS4's random connections) and the connection doesn't drop off, like others here are experiencing. Its the problem of not all devices connecting thats a problem, perhaps an engineer needs to attend?

Hi Katie, I understand that it isn't practical for you to look back over each post in the thread, but I can assure you that in the past, I have posted asking for help, at a time when others were doing the same. They got their problems resolved - I reminded VM that I am still waiting, but I got silence.

Can you see how often I have to manually reboot my "super" hub from your end ?

I have set up broadband monitoring if that helps ?

thanks

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for popping back @solanoah

So when your connection drops - does the Hub remain turned on?

Katie - Forum Team

Yes

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @roblye

I am sorry about the delay in replying; as I did advise in my initial post you will all get an post for your own issues in the next hour or so and I am still working through the thread in order to assist you all individually. 

When customers post on the same thread rather than their own, it can get rather confusing so please do bear with us whilst we help you all out. 

From locating your account from your forum information I can see you have recently had a new hub this month. It has been almost 7 days since it was last rebooted. There are no known area issues listed for your region and no errors showing at all. 

All signal levels are within the levels we expect for your package. 

You don't have an excessive amount of devices for your connection but you do have a fair amount all connected via Ethernet and 3 devices on the 2.4Ghz frequency have had some WiFi issues over the last 7 days. Some devices are also a bit too close which is causing some interference. 

Please do a reboot when you can and we can check again for updates. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @nubster

We can only see when your last reboot was. As mentioned though, as there is a known area issue for an intermittent connection issue, it is difficult to go any further checks with you until the area issue has cleared - I am sorry. 

Other than the area issue, we can see that you last rebooted around 15 hours ago. We have no errors showing and all signal levels are where we would expect. We would need the area issue to clear before further checks can be done. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you @solanoah

Have you set up the BQM for us as requested so we can see this? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Yes, just now