cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

What is the contact detail for VM technical?

150 from a VM landline or 0333 000 3101 from a mobile (as I had to do yesterday as my VM landline went down yesterday too) Joke.

Good luck - I keep getting fobbed off.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Everyone, 

I can see that we have a few different customers all on the same thread with variations of a similar issue.

I will reply to you all on your own reply to avoid confusion.

This may take me a while as there are a few of you and a few different accounts to check but you will each get a reply from me in the next hour or so so please hold tight and look for your name in the replies to ensure you're reading the post meant for you and your issue 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @solanoah

Welcome to our Community and thanks for your posts - you have advised you are having the same issue. However this post is around 8 months old with 7 pages of replies so I will need some more information from you about what your issue is and what checks you have already done. 

From locating your account from your forum information I can see that you have recently received some boosters with the last couple of months. I can see that you have rebooted within the last 12 hours. We have no known area issues listed for your region and there are no errors showing.

We can see a couple power levels on your downstream are a little lower than we would like to see for your package but the majority are fine. 

I can see that you do have quite a lot of devices connected for the package you subscribe to and a couple of these devices are too far away from the hub which is causing some issues with your bandwidth. These devices may be better on a different frequency or to be closer to the hub if possible. One devices in particular that is on the 2.4 Ghz frequency is causing long term disruption to your connection. 

Have a look at all the devices in your home and see if they all are needed or in use. Pop back when you can to advise exactly what the issue is that you're having and what checks you have already done and we can go from there. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Bannosantoro

Thanks for popping back with your update - glad that your new set up seems to be working for you.

Please do let us know if you need anything further from us and we can go through some checks with you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @nubster

I am sorry that you;re still having these issues - I can see that you have been posting on this thread for a while now. 

After locating and looking at your account I can see that the area issue is still open. It was logged on 20th July under reference number F008243138 with the estimated fix date to be 25th August. This issue is an intermittent congestion issue in your region. This means it may not impact all customers at the same time

However, whilst the issue is being worked on, we cannot diagnose other issues of the same nature; we would need for the issue to be resolved to see if your issue is indeed linked with this one or not. 

I assure you we are not fobbing you off at all - we will do all we can to assist you once the area issue has cleared if you are still having issues. You can pop back anytime and we can check for updates for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Come on Katie,

A device being far from the hub should not be causing a scenario that would require the hub to be restarted. The worst case scenario should be that the device is losing signal.

In my scenario, all ethernet connections and wifi go down at the same time.

Do you want to sort out the downstream power levels as a starter?!

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @solanoah

As mentioned in my reply, this thread is over 7 pages long with a wide variety of issues that have been reported by many various users. I was simply asking for verification on what your issue was exactly. 

I then updated you with the information we have at hand in regards to your query/issue.  We can already see your power levels from your account as mentioned in my reply. (Thanks for the edit to your post)

Are you manually rebooting the system or does the Hub reboot itself when the connections go off? 

It may also be helpful to set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts.  It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of your connection. If you need any help with that please let us know.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

Katie,

It is manual rebooting which is a pain.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

So you are manually rebooting @solanoah

And can you advise why you are needing to do that please? Does the connection not come back on after it drops out? 

Katie - Forum Team