cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@nubster wrote:

Thanks for that

I have had a broadband monitor set up for a while - I just don't know what it means or what to do with it !

What to do with it is... post it up here (as per the TB website advises how to share) so that others can take a look at it and advise.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cheers - it will get sorted one way or another.

I know a few who have gone to BT and say its fantastic - generic email address is my issue. But that seems to be lower down in my order of issues - I need a stable service. Now I am working from home every day the crap service I am getting may well cost me my job as it sometimes drops at the worst possible times !

thanks

Having your same problem here. 

Both Wifi and wired connections go down, wifi connected say "connected no internet" 

I have managed to run speed tests just before it completely goes and speed drops to under 1mbps. This has been happening most evenings around the same time, a reset sometimes restores internet for 30 minutes and then it goes down again. 

Hub just shows the white solid light. Virgin sent out a new hub and did not fix this issue.  

We also only have 3 devices connected.

Hi PhilS404,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having. I have taken a look on our side and it does look as though an engineer is require to investigate this further. 

What I will do is private message you so I can get one booked in. 

^Martin

A nice speedy reply (and hopefully resolution) for you PhilS404 !

Hi Martin, 

I have a call with your team but last week they advised there are no engineers available in my area for the next 2 months so I am not too hopeful. 

Thanks 

Thank you for coming back to me. Did the agent advise what the next steps would be to help get this resolved?

^Martin

The agent advised the issue is due to low power level, I'm not sure if this means to the router or to do with the box on the wall? We have an engineer coming out tomorrow morning.

Please let us know how today's engineer visit goes.

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill