cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to reset router every day

nubster
Tuning in

Been with Virgin media since time began and always been a big advocate. The main reason I've stuck with Virgin is the fact that my @ntlworld.com email address is the only email address I have ever had and the hassle to change is massive.

Nevertheless I am being pushed to the edge by the really [REMOVED] connectivity I have suffered for the past year.

Basically, the router needs restarting every day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. When I contact the technical helpdesk they run their tests and restart the router and they say it will be sorted. It is, for the next hour if I am lucky. Occasionally, I kick up a stink and say that we need an engineer to come to the property. They arrange this and subsequently attend.

My router is situated upstairs in a 2-storey house and is a 3.0 hub.

The last-but-one-engineer said that one of the problems was that the router was placed by a wooden desk and that dampens the signal downstairs, which is where the majority of the wifi stuff is. Moving the router downstairs isn't something I want to do, as I only have Virgin broadband and telephone - not TV.

The last engineer suggested that I needed to upgrade my broadband speed from 100mbps to 200mbps as I have around 20 wifi devices connected (who doesn't!). So, last month I upgraded the speed as suggested to 200mbps.

Sadly, the performance is exactly the same - dropping daily. The dropping is sometimes dropping of wifi and sometimes total dropping of the internet.

Help, otherwise I'm going to have to think about BT or something else!!

[Mod Edit – Inappropriate Comments etc]

150 REPLIES 150

We can only see the 24 hour period in the link that you post and nothing previous.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Sorry I thought it was a live link so you could go to previous days.  

Here's Tuesday:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8cd85f2ede99e629065ebc71ccf3b0e889941ead-04-02-2020

I would cease posting now and wait for the VM staff to pick up the thread, they are not instantaeneous so give them time.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

madwayte
Joining in

Hi I was wondering if virgin ever fixed your problem with the internet.  We have to switch the router off on a daily basis. It seems to be the wifi that is the problem rather than the device's that are wired. Thanks Peter

Hi madwayte,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear about this. I have taken a look on our side and it does look like an engineer is needed for this. 

I will private message you so we can get one booked in for you. 

^Martin

No unfortunately my connectivity is still rubbish. Restarting router every day, especially now I have to work from home. Sometimes the resetting is 4 or 5 times a day.

Hi nubster,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry you're still having these issues. 

I have taken a look on our side and it is showing as you have quite a lot of devices connected to the hub. 

Do you have our Virgin Media Connect App? 

Also can you confirm when you last did a factory reset on the hub? 

^Martin

Yes we have about 15-20 devices connected like most households these days.

I was advised by the latest engineer to upgrade my broadband speed to resolve it. We did that. But it made no difference whatsoever.

I am unsure when we did a factory reset of the hub- it has never been mentioned before.

Hi nubster,

Thank you for coming back to us, a factory reset can resolve a lot of issues including software issues, this will put the router back to how it was when you got it, if you have changed the password ETC this will revert back to what it was when it arrived.

Kind regards

Paul.

Hi, I'm also curious to see if/how this gets fixed? I recently signed up with VM and am having daily issues with broadband! Exactly the same as the OP, daily lockups and restarts etc. WiFi all show as connected, but no internet. Wired devices show as connected, but no internet. So I put the router into modem mode and connected my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 hoping this would fix the issue....but no!! Exactly the same problem??!! Everything shows as connected, but several times per day there is no internet to any device and I need to restart! Now oddly, restarting my R7000 fixes the issue (not restarting the superhub 3). So this suggests it's not the equipment that has an issue, it's the signal coming in that's causing this issue. Fyi the R7000 was performing 100% rock solid with over 99% uptime when I was with EE fibre. I even changed the firmware on the R7000 to DD-WRT so I could have more control, set up beam forming and all sorts of other settings to improve performance.....still the same issue. I don't know how, but somehow the signal into the house is causing these internet lockouts. The equipment I have woks just fine on other providers broadband. And it happens when the superhub is in both modem mode and router mode. I will be contacting VM myself to advise that I wish to cancel, as this is a terrible broadband service so far.