cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOTICE ATOM errors on my Super hub 3

metalmatt
Up to speed

Good Evening

Since Sunday I have been having the following error NOTICE ATOM is restarted due to Kernel/oops panic as part of Self Healing Mechanism.

The router has gone off 3 times since Sunday. Spoke to somebody on the phone today ran tests on the router and said it was fine and the possible fault is the A/C power adapter he said he has dispatched me new adapter. Has anyone else being having these problems?

26 REPLIES 26

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See messages 4 and 8 in here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/NOTICE-ATOM-is-restarted-due-to-Kernel-oops...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Reading about this error it seems nobody knows what the error is. If an engineer cannot find a fault then I'm not sure how this can be fixed. The phone operator ran a test and reported no errors. Also my power levels are fine. I will have to wait and see when I receive my new A/C adaptor. I did ask for a super hub 5, however I am not eligible for one as I'm on the 250mb service.

Since switching my router back to auto and smart Wi-Fi option this ATOM error has gone. After reading on the forum I do agree the hub 3 is absolute rubbish. I'm so tempted to get a my own router and put the hub 3 in modem mode.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@metalmatt wrote:

<snip>  . I'm so tempted to get a my own router and put the hub 3 in modem mode.

In all the many years I've been with VM, I've never used any of the Hub's as Routers.  They go straight to modem mode.  I've been using my own networking equipment for years and that way I can control everything.  It may cost more, but the sheer lack of frustration is well worth it 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'm going to invest in the following router https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-axe75/ any thoughts? Any alternatives? Cheers.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seems like a good Router, however if you ever did get a Hub 5, the WAN port on the TP-Link is only 1Gb.  It may be more future proof to look at a Router with a 2.5Gb WAN port.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the advice. I'm on the 250mbps service at present I can't see me upgrading to 1gb Internet 250 is fast enough for me. Besides it's blooming expensive! Lol

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The AXE5400 is an excellent hi spec router - but eye-wateringly expensive 🙂

Are you sure you want to spend that much? Seems like overkill to me unless you have specific "needs"?

What particular features of that one has attracted you to selecting it ? Or... what features do you want it to have ? You dont want a 2.5/10 GB port as you are unlikely to go to 1GB.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I did look at other routers some are £200-250. This one is £120 yeah I think it's quite reasonable. This one is good as well £80 TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router, OneMesh™ Supported, 1× USB 3.0 Port, Ideal for Gaming Xbox/PS4/Steam and 8K, Compatible with Alexa (Archer AX55) https://amzn.eu/d/emRGEK5 might look at this one as well.