Menu
Reply
catterfj
  • 8
  • 1
  • 1
Tuning in
169 Views
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade

I have a Synology NAS DS218J, purchased two years ago. Installed are apps Plex and Cloudstation Drive, however since I was upgraded from a Superhub 2 to a Hub 3 I have not been able to connect to these. Plex across my devices (laptop, phone, TV) says I need to 'get Plex Server', which has always been installed on the NAS. Cloudstation Drive no longer syncs from my laptop, perpetually trying to 'connect'. QuickConnect also no longer works from a browser.

I expected these to continue to work as before with the new router, but sadly not. I do not remember if I changed any hub settings when I first bought the NAS. I have tried to follow some guides for setting up DHCP and port forwarding but I feel out of my depth and doubt I would have done this first time around.

Is there a guide to doing this? A known bug when upgrading routers? Should I contact Virgin directly? Any help would be greatly received.

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.56K
  • 253
  • 379
Superfast
166 Views
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade


@catterfj wrote:

I have a Synology NAS DS218J, purchased two years ago. Installed are apps Plex and Cloudstation Drive, however since I was upgraded from a Superhub 2 to a Hub 3 I have not been able to connect to these. Plex across my devices (laptop, phone, TV) says I need to 'get Plex Server', which has always been installed on the NAS. Cloudstation Drive no longer syncs from my laptop, perpetually trying to 'connect'. QuickConnect also no longer works from a browser.

I expected these to continue to work as before with the new router, but sadly not. I do not remember if I changed any hub settings when I first bought the NAS. I have tried to follow some guides for setting up DHCP and port forwarding but I feel out of my depth and doubt I would have done this first time around.

Is there a guide to doing this? A known bug when upgrading routers? Should I contact Virgin directly? Any help would be greatly received.


do you know if you configured a static ip address on your NAS, or did it get its IP configuration via DHCP? 

gary_dexter
  • 28.86K
  • 1.76K
  • 3.77K
Alessandro Volta
165 Views
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade

Are you accessing internally or externally? Have you updated the WAN IP for them and also any new internal IP Addresses etc?

*****
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
catterfj
  • 8
  • 1
  • 1
Tuning in
158 Views
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade

Looking at the NAS now it says DHCP server is disabled

0 Kudos
Reply
catterfj
  • 8
  • 1
  • 1
Tuning in
155 Views
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade

All the issues I've encountered are internal on the same network. I have not updated any IP addresses - I wouldn't know how without and step-by-step guide and I've not found one that appears to describe my problem.
0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.56K
  • 253
  • 379
Superfast
149 Views
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade


@catterfj wrote:

Looking at the NAS now it says DHCP server is disabled


this is probably a good thing - you don't want a second DHCP server on the network.

how are you "looking at the nas now"? are you browsing to its IP address through a web interface?

catterfj
  • 8
  • 1
  • 1
Tuning in
146 Views
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade

"Are you browsing to its IP address through a web interface?" - that's exactly right
0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.56K
  • 253
  • 379
Superfast
140 Views
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade


@catterfj wrote:
"Are you browsing to its IP address through a web interface?" - that's exactly right

OK, so the NAS has picked up an address from the hub3 - it's probably just a different one to the ones that Plex and Cloudstation sync are used to connecting to.

for cloudstation - run through the wizard again and put the new address in as the target.

for plex, it really ought to figure it out itself, but you may find it all works if you reinstall/re-log in to the apps on the clients that aren't working.

catterfj
  • 8
  • 1
  • 1
Tuning in
132 Views
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade


@tehwolf wrote:

for cloudstation - run through the wizard again and put the new address in as the target.

for plex, it really ought to figure it out itself, but you may find it all works if you reinstall/re-log in to the apps on the clients that aren't working.


When you say new address, do you mean the IP address I use to connect to the NAS via my browser? (192.168.0 etc)

With the Plex I have unfortunately tried logging in and out and reinstalling, as well as reinstalling the Plex Server on the NAS itself.

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.56K
  • 253
  • 379
Superfast
128 Views
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAS doesn't connect since router upgrade


@catterfj wrote:

@tehwolf wrote:

for cloudstation - run through the wizard again and put the new address in as the target.

for plex, it really ought to figure it out itself, but you may find it all works if you reinstall/re-log in to the apps on the clients that aren't working.


When you say new address, do you mean the IP address I use to connect to the NAS via my browser? (192.168.0 etc)

With the Plex I have unfortunately tried logging in and out and reinstalling, as well as reinstalling the Plex Server on the NAS itself.


Yup - use the address that you use in your browser..

is the plex service definitely running on the NAS? (as in, when you navigate to the apps section of the nas admin pages, does it show it as running, or stopped, or failed...?)

0 Kudos
Reply