cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery loss of 5Ghz network

GROBTIV
On our wavelength

I am currently operating my wireless network on my HUB on the 5GHz frequency with the 2.4Ghz disabled. My three wireless devices laptop, iPad and phone all in the same room at around 2 to 3 metres distance. This has worked faultlessly since 2019, but a few days ago I lost the ability to log onto the router. My devices can pick up many other users Wi-Fi hotspots in the neighbourhood but mine has vanished. I have tried rebooting, I have tried switching from modem only to wireless and back again to no avail. Contacting virgin media they have done soft reboot from their end with no success. On switching on the 2.4 GHz facility I can now see my router again but only on this lower frequency. The router goes through the correct boot sequence as far as I can see  but the warning light at the front always remains red. Ethernet connections to a TiVo box and computer are fine implying I have no cable problems. I suspect a problem with the 5 GHz output on my router although it appears normal to remote interrogation  Is this a common problem , channel interference or failure with part of the hub three circuitry ? I would be grateful for any advice you can offer.

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for keeping us posted GROBTIV.

We're glad to hear this has all been resolved for you. 

^Martin

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @GROBTIV,

Thank you for your post. I am so sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your router recently.

Is this a Hub 3 or a Hub 4 that you have? Can you also confirm if the red light you've mentioned is a constant and solid red, or is it flashing red?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You need a new hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could try a pin hole reset of the hub. Cannot guarantee anything, but has been known to fix the odd problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

GROBTIV
On our wavelength

Sorry its a Hub3 --- March 2019 install.  The red light is on continuously.   its well ventilated

G

Hi @GROBTIV,

Thank you for expanding. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can take some additional details and look at what's going on.

Please respond to this at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi @GROBTIV,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message and supplying those additional details.

As discussed there, I have now scheduled and booked a technician visit for you. For security reasons I cannot confirm the date/time of the appointment to you here publicly, but you are able to check and reschedule it if needed via your My Virgin Media online account.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

GROBTIV
On our wavelength

Thanks for your help-will let you know how it goes

G

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Happy to help! 🙂 Please do pop back and let us know how things are working for you following your engineer visit.

Kind regards,

Serena

GROBTIV
On our wavelength

A very helpful Virgin media technician paid me a visit yesterday afternoon. Installed a new router and service back to normal on both wireless wavelengths. A big thank you to everyone who helped sort this out for me

G