cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My own router

Chaslington
On our wavelength

As it stands I can either use the crappy Super Hub 3 with poor Wi-Fi and constant network spikes or set it to modem mode and use my faster, stable router.

Both the Super Hub 3 and my far superior one are capable of being both a modem/router.  Why must I have the ugly Super Hub 3 acting as a modem and wasting electricity when my far superior one is capable of doing both?

Are there any magic words I can say on the phone so I no longer need Virgin's crappy Super Hub 3 cluttering up my otherwise tidy front room?

It's frustrating that Virgin are allowed to force their crap on me because they're the only fibre optic broadband provider in my area without competition.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Over the past 5-6 years I have had Sky, BT and now Virgin broadband. For an 'average' household and members in it who just simply want to plug a router in and get wifi all three devices will suffice as they play on their Xbox's, ipads whilst streaming netflix, Amazon etc.

But those who are in the know (us!) are aware of the limitations of an ISP's hardware - it's cheap and cheerful. On all occasions I have changed the provided hardware with either a direct connected device (Sky/BT) or setting the Virgin router into modem mode. The results of 3rd party hardware are very noticeable to me with regards to wifi coverage, configurability, devices supported etc. I see pro's and cons in all the ISP solutions:

Virgin has great internet speeds (I've got Gig1 now), the router Hub3/4 are not brilliant with wifi in my home and the biggest negative with Virgin in my opinion is set top box interface (Tivo). I think it is bloody awful and about time Virgin did a full firmware revamp.

BT supplied hardware is ok (especially with their whole house wifi promise) but internet speeds dont match up to Virgin (although adequate for most household usage) and once again their desktop is antiquated.

Sky's hardware (especially the Q setup) isnt too bad to be honest as it has a sort of Mesh setup which improves wifi and the set top box interface for Q is brilliant (please note Virgin).

What am I trying to say - well most households wont see any issues (and I bet many wouldn't know even if they did have any), We are geeks (in a nice way lol) and pursue the best setup we can.

What did I do to resolve my wifi issues i had - well I used the router I bought when i had my previous BT setup. Then I upgraded the router to one that supported OpenWRT and Virgin kindly sent me some wifi extenders. Still issues so I took the plunge and purchased an Asus ZenWifi CT8 mesh solution (and I know some on here dont like mesh 😁 ). Has it fixed the problem - god yes. Should I have to fork out £270 to fix my wifi issues. God no!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

28 REPLIES 28

jem101
Superstar

@Chaslington wrote:

snip...

Both the Super Hub 3 and my far superior one are capable of being both a modem/router.  Why must I have the ugly Super Hub 3 acting as a modem and wasting electricity when my far superior one is capable of doing both?

Are there any magic words I can say on the phone so I no longer need Virgin's crappy Super Hub 3 cluttering up my otherwise tidy front room?

...snip

No you absolutely have to use a VM Hub as the modem - no getting around it! And I'm curious, what router do you have then?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Unless you can fit a round peg in a square hole you have to use the hub as a modem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm using an old netgear router which feels pretty stable compared to the hub 3 and now I'm window shopping online...this looks good, https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7800.aspx

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

As the Virginmedia network is a closed cable network then only VM authorized hardware can be connected to that network, the only choice you have is too use the equipment supplied but that hub can be placed in modem mode.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Chaslington and constant network spikes

Latency spikes are rarely down to the hub itself, and rarely down to wifi, they're normally a fault on a connection.  So no matter what router (and indeed modem) you use, and existing latency issues will remain.

If they're caused by over-utilisation (congestion) then the outlook is bleak.  If they're a power level or noise issue then they can usually be fixed.  We can take a look at your hub's status data and you could set up a Broadband Quality Monitor to show us what the latency performance is like.

Yes, yes, I know the status quo...but it doesn't have to be that way.

spgray
Problem sorter

@Chaslington wrote:

when my far superior one is capable of doing both?

no it's not.

your "far superior" router won't have a virgin approved DOCSIS 3 modem in it.
also, the C7800 you are looking at appears to be for the US market, i don't see it for sale in the UK.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Are there any magic words I can say on the phone so I no longer need Virgin's crappy Super Hub 3 cluttering up my otherwise tidy front room?"
Yes you say. "i'd like to give my 30 days notice" and then move to an ISP that uses Openreach network and you can use your own modem

@Anonymous wrote:
and then move to an ISP that uses Openreach network and you can use your own modem

and even then you might end up with an ISP that forces you to use their supplied router. there are still some out there that won't give you the required user/pass you would need if using your own modem.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray