cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new hub installed Christmas time by yourselves is excellent but noticed it’s showing a red light

Robert731
Tuning in

My new hub three works very well with no issues but noticed it’s showing a red light which was orange originally but we can detect no issues with the wifi phone or anything else we are getting an excellent service it’s no hot we’ve checked all the cables and phone line which crackle a bit

Regards Robert

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you confirm that you are in router mode?

Power off the hub and wait a few minutes and then power on. If the LED remains red the hub will need replacing.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Robert731,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your hub. 

If you can answer the questions from Tudor this will help us to diagnose this. 

^Martin

Hi Tudar

we've rebooted the hub and the Red light still shows 

youre engineer set up the new  hub for us is it possible for an engineer to replace this faulty hub and check any thing which might have caused this

Regard's 

Robert731

@Robert731 wrote:

Hi Tudar

we've rebooted the hub and the Red light still shows 

youre engineer set up the new  hub for us is it possible for an engineer to replace this faulty hub and check any thing which might have caused this

Regard's 

Robert731

Ah but have you done a full factory reset? That'll be get a bent paperclip and press the tiny reset button on the back of the hub, you will 'feel' a click as it depresses, hold it in for a full 60 seconds, the hub should reboot itself and come back up exactly as it was when first delivered. So you will need to log into it using the password on the sticker on the base (you did check that the sticker was there and legible before proceeding, yes?😃) and setup and modifications you might have made.

Now is the LED still red?

The colour of the LED is driven by software in the hub, so a full factory reset should sort any software issues out and show the 'proper' colour. However it is quite possible that the LED or the hardware drivers have started to fail, in which case the colour will shift and they tend to shift towards the red end of the spectrum.

So if it still looks red(ish), then probably, its just the hub's, not entirely state of the art components or construction quality, at fault here - but do you want to take the chance and/or in the future if the hub were to overheat, then how would you know?

If you do all this and it is still red, then, yes, it needs to be replaced.

John

Hi @Robert731, thanks a lot for your reply and sorry that things haven't improved for you.

If you've done the pinhole reset as @jem101 has advised and still nothing has changed (I'll pre-empt this is the case), then I'll pop you a PM to ask you to confirm some further details so I can arrange a technician to get the Hub replace for you.

Please expect the PM to arrive shortly and respond when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Robert731, thanks for your confirmation via PM, you're welcome.

Just responding publicly to close off this thread - we'll leave the technician as it currently stands then, glad that's working for you.

I'm sure this won't apply but we do have to state:

If the issue for the technician's apppointment is as a result of misuse, neglect, accidental or willful damage, or if the technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your personal equipment, you will be charged £25.
If the appointment is missed there is a £25 charge for a missed appointment.

Many thanks and take care.

Tom_W

Thanks Tom look forward to the engineer visit Sat 19th March

Robert

Hi there @Robert731

As Saturday has now been we were just wondering how the appointment went and how are things now looking with Hub? 

Thank you. 

For The attention of Ashley Virginmedia support 

Thank you very much for you’re support and fixing/Replace The faulty hub 

the engineer was very prompt and very experienced in setting up the new hub and reconnecting various equipment to the Hub and work  very well it’s a pity it’s so expensive I suppose we get what we pay for

we felt safe with the engineer he gave us a 30 minute warning of his visit we didn’t feel there was any threat from this Covid 19 we kept doors and windows open ensuring complete ventilation 

so we where very pleased with experience and considering we have never used the Virginmedia community forum it was a great experience 

thank you very much

Robert Westgate