cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My WIFI is bad

Ineedanewrouter
Tuning in

https://www.reddit.com/r/VirginMedia/comments/10ntpc1/my_wifi_is_so_bad/?utm_source=share&utm_medium...

with images^

hello(long term member here with virgin media), i have the 500mbps package but just that its self never goes over 200 or even 100 as of tonight. Online last 2 months ago, they said my router was broken. 2 months later with the same router from 2016 is still here...Connect!. So surely they know its still broke...Right? Meanwhile just this, the past 2 hours my speeds have not only dropped from 100 (apparently 500mbps) to now 60mbps on my brand new pc(WIFI 4E 5GH) at 11pm as of now, not saying it works in the day either but when gaming my mate who is also on virgin seems to lags and crash at the same time (ps... he's not next door to me), but in-fact two city's onwards, and mine just doesn't want to work for the rest of the night. so the bad service and a bad router is living hell. Not to mention we pay extra for a WIFI extender from them their self's " Virgin Media Intelligent WIFI Pod Booster" not sure how it even connect to my internet with out any WPS or wpa2-psk password (apple devices also say this is unsafe with or with this on). Virgin tell me no ends of time to speed test next to the router which yes I do agree gives me over a 100mbps (still not what i paid for) but I'm not going to me sat next to my router blocking up the family TV to hear me play or at this point browser the web then i will take my WIFI else where... Sky Gaming Broadband | Ultimate Broadband Deals for Gamers | Sky.com

Meanwhile, you are probably thinking use LAN, yes i could but my room and like every other room there isn't the need to be setting up traps or trip wires which gives me better ping for when the WIFI is working until it does it usual cut off or lag spikes. I have zeros devices on when this crashes no nothing to do with usage also. Last but not least, we all have things other than a phone which we use the WIFI on and speed testing on them is a lot different to something like a ps5 or pc. The app does also not fix anything. Resetting router doesn't fix anything, changing the whole setting inside the router does nothing. Changing DNS does nothing.

I'm more than unhappy with this kind of of unpromised WIFI reliability

"It’s backed up by our signal-boosting mesh WIFI Pods (if needed) and Intelligent WIFI service – at no extra cost with Gig1 Fibre Broadband and our Volt packages. You can also add WIFI Max to our M50 to M500 Fibre Broadband packs (without Volt) for £8 a month with your first WIFI Pod provided automatically. "

"We're better, connected"

"Download Speeds"
"Advertised Speed: 516 Mbps
Expected Speed Range: 506-544 Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed: 258 Mbps"

"Upload Speeds"
"Advertised Speed: 36 Mbps
Expected Speed Range: 35 - 37 Mbps"

Reality its 4mb download

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended as it only covers issues that affect a very large number of customers.

VM will not dispatch any technicians while an area fault exists.

If no area faults found:

The primary place to report faults or for service requests is Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait two or three days for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're facing problems with your service and Wi-Fi. The speeds you get whilst at home, will differ depending on a variety of factors such as your package, what and how many devices you have, and how they are connected, amongst other things.

We do utilise a Minimum Speed Guarantee, which will show the minimum speed we expect for all of our packages, when on a cabled connection. You can find out more here. Please be aware, this guarantee does not cover a Wi-Fi connection due to the unpredictability of a wireless network.

I've taken a look on our end, and can see that you have a very minor amount of Packet Loss and some Power Levels out of specification, which can also be contributing to the issues you're facing.

I'm going to send you a private message so we can look into getting somebody out to take a look into this for you. Please look out for my message in the top-right purple envelope.

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

I'm now getting 245mbps but is not working at all, no videos are loading on any device. Reboot doesn't help. What's wrong with virgin media tonight?

Hi Ineedanewrouter,

Thanks for coming back to us about your broadband connection, I am sorry it's still not working as well as you would like but I am glad to hear your speed has increased since your engineer visit. 

I have checked your services on my side and I can see that there is an ongoing issue within your area which is affecting TV, broadband and landline services, it's estimated to be fixed today at 18:00. If your services still have an issue tomorrow we will be more than happy to continue helping, so please keep us updated! 

Thanks,

Megan_L

i never said they was fixed?? 

They are however even worse, engineer said he changed the wires but its doing 60mbps max now! pls can i have a new router this is unbelievable 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is anything being reported on 0800 561 0061 ? If it is they will do nothing until any fault is fixed.

For comparison, what are connections/speeds like on ethernet cable connected devices?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, Ineedanewrouter👋

Thank you for your reply and I am so sorry that you are still having issues with this. I have checked our systems and can see you have some major issues on your upstream that require a tech.

I can get this booked in for you 📅 I will pop you over a PM to get your details if you could just keep an eye out for the little envelope 📩

Thanks, 

Zoie