Menu
angelsmg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My Virgin Media Hub 3 wifi signal is not visible on android phones or windows laptop

Hi, I have looked through the forums but not found an answer to my problem. I took out virgin media broadband in July as I needed faster broadband and cable was not available in my flat. All has been working well with the broadband and wi-fi connections but about a week ago my wi-fi stopped working and I cannot see it to even try and connect on either my wife's phone or my own as well as 2 laptops.

My Hub 3.0 status shows wireless as being on both 2.4 and 5GHz and I have no problem at all with a direct cable connection. There are also no errors with the Network diagnostic tool.  Since my wife notified me of the problem (I use a direct connection) I have tried disabling both wifi connections and re-enabling them.  I have changed my router to be modem only mode and back again.  Reset my router with the needle in the hole process, and as a last attempt renamed my SSID name. The tickbox is ticked to broadcast my SSID name and I just don't understand why I cannot see them to connect to.

Has anyone else had this issue and had it resolved? Does anyone know what the cause might be> Have I pressed a button on my router that I shouldn't have done. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Simon

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Virgin Media Hub 3 wifi signal is not visible on android phones or windows laptop

Usually holding the pin in the pinhole reset for 10 seconds works

angelsmg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: My Virgin Media Hub 3 wifi signal is not visible on android phones or windows laptop

Thanks for the suggestion Alessandro, unfortunately that didn't make any difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator (Retired) Ty_S
Moderator (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi angelsmg

Welcome to the community. I can still see no devices connected over wireless. Are you able to see the wireless networks if you change the wireless channel? If that fails can you try a pinhole reset of the hub?
Let us know how you get on. 
Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

angelsmg
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your suggestion. I had tried this previously abut after trying again the Virgin Media WiFi is now visible on my Samsung phone and my laptop  which is a Lenovo Thinkpad.  Unfortunately it still cannot be seen by my wife's laptop which is an HP.  Might have to rebuild her laptop and see if that helps.
thanks again

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

FYI Some laptops if set up incorrectly cannot see channels 12 and 13 

0 Kudos
angelsmg
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information Alessandro. Checked my channels though and they are on Auto settings. Channel 1 for 2.4GHz and Channel 36 for 5GHz.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Try pinhole reset again (30+ seconds and no restart) and then rename the ssid's again - remember to save settings before exiting Smiley Happy

Go into the Hub3 settings (go to http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 in your browser) and in "smart wifi" disable the "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos