cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My HUB 4 is slow and the ethernet ports are not working

hammerandtongs
Tuning in

I can connect via the wifi connection (as I type).

I have set VM Hub 4 in modem mode as I have my own router and network.

I have had problems before and the Hub 4 was replaced.  

I have been on 1 Gb connection for approx. 2 years.  

My problem is the Hub 4 ethernet ports have suddenly stopped working and I have no connection. My internal network works fine but cannot connect from internal router to VM Hub.

Anyone else have similar problem?

I have re-enabled the wifi and have tested connectivity to 1Gb+ so no problem on the ISP side.

Any ideas?

BTW I renewed my 1Gb a few months back - nobody sent an email about the Hub 5 upgrade - interesting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hammerandtongs
Tuning in
Hi all,
thanks for the responses.
Following the post and some time today ( 😞 Mothers Day -wife impacted) - I think I have found it following the suggestions below.
Resetting the Hub 4 I did attach PC directly and the speed was up so good!
I reset into modem mode and again my router would not connect - although my lan was OK.
My conclusion is the long cable from the Hub 4 to the router is faulty - I tested it with multimeter and it seems it has an intermittent beak in it (a CAT 6a) - it has not moved in 5 years so I am really surprised in this.
Well, placed order for replacement 8m cable which is to arrive ASAP and hopefully resolve the issue.

I thank the folks for the contributions. 😉

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
When in modem mode (I think) the only ethernet port that is active is the one your router is plugged into - the others auto-inactivate. If your want to connect devices on ethernet then they have to connect via your router

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Maybe your router WAN port is a problem? test with a PC to a port to the hub in modem mode or test in router mode?.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is a slim possibility that your WAN IP address has changed. So power off the VM hub and turn on again after a minute. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

hammerandtongs
Tuning in
Hi all,
thanks for the responses.
Following the post and some time today ( 😞 Mothers Day -wife impacted) - I think I have found it following the suggestions below.
Resetting the Hub 4 I did attach PC directly and the speed was up so good!
I reset into modem mode and again my router would not connect - although my lan was OK.
My conclusion is the long cable from the Hub 4 to the router is faulty - I tested it with multimeter and it seems it has an intermittent beak in it (a CAT 6a) - it has not moved in 5 years so I am really surprised in this.
Well, placed order for replacement 8m cable which is to arrive ASAP and hopefully resolve the issue.

I thank the folks for the contributions. 😉

hammerandtongs
Tuning in

Consider this closed for now.  Thanks all!

Hi @hammerandtongs,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear of the issues you've faced with your Hub 4 recently, though I'm glad to see that the advice from our community members has been helpful.

Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can assist you with today.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!