cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple issues with broadband and recordings

Kd41
On our wavelength

I’m having issues while recording programs when playing back the recording picture is all distorted and jumping and audio is jumping I’ve ran diagnostics on network  and it said port configuration test failed I have no clue how I can fix this.  My internet connection is also always dropping out multiple times a day and is slow loading up pages while surfing considering it’s supposed to be very fast as I have the ultimate oomph bundle " it’s been going on for a while but I haven’t been able to seek help or advice I’m still using a hub 3  and I know there is new equipment available and since I pay a fortune I would expect to have the most Upto date equipment available so any information would be appreciated on what to do or if I can fix myself

K Davis
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi KD41,

Since you are on the Ultimate Oomph bundle you will have a V6 or the newer 360 box - it sounds like the V6 as the port configuration test failed. This is normal and doesn't affect the performance of the box or internet connection so you can forget the error message.

It sounds like you should be checking your hub 3 settings. Have you tried rebooting it recently?

If possible you should be using an ethernet connection, if so have you tried a different ethernet cable or port on the hub?

If it's a wireless connection have you separated the SSID's in your hub to differentiate between 2.4G and 5G. 

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

This section details how to separate the 2 bands if you haven't already done so:-

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  at the bottom then  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 2 to the end of the 2.4GHz Channel name, then further down add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Regarding the recording issues. What happens if you pause a live program for a few minutes and then play it back?  If this is still stuttering irt may point to a hard drive problem, unless you have issues with live TV which may be a signal issue.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi KD41,

Since you are on the Ultimate Oomph bundle you will have a V6 or the newer 360 box - it sounds like the V6 as the port configuration test failed. This is normal and doesn't affect the performance of the box or internet connection so you can forget the error message.

It sounds like you should be checking your hub 3 settings. Have you tried rebooting it recently?

If possible you should be using an ethernet connection, if so have you tried a different ethernet cable or port on the hub?

If it's a wireless connection have you separated the SSID's in your hub to differentiate between 2.4G and 5G. 

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

This section details how to separate the 2 bands if you haven't already done so:-

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  at the bottom then  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 2 to the end of the 2.4GHz Channel name, then further down add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

Regarding the recording issues. What happens if you pause a live program for a few minutes and then play it back?  If this is still stuttering irt may point to a hard drive problem, unless you have issues with live TV which may be a signal issue.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

This is the sort of reply that not many give. Lots say you should do this or that assuming you are Bill Gates but never explain how.
The above post is perfect. I don't have the problem but if I ever do I will know where to look thanks to you.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kd41 

If you're still having issues, I'd recommend posting in the TV board in the future - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV/ct-p/tv 

More people lurk around those parts than this "general chat" area. You can also check which TV box you have, here 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kd41
On our wavelength

I changed outbreak Ethernet cable and put a bit more distance between v6 box and hub and it seems to have helped so far I’ll keep in mind the hub setting option if it happens again thanks so much to everyone who replied with advice your all amazing 👍👍👍👍🥳

K Davis

Hi Kd41, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you were having issues. 

I can see that newappollo gave a great reply so kudos to them for that 🙂

It's great news that things are working better for you currently but if you do have further issues, don't hesitate to pop back to let us know so we can help further. 

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs