cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Drop Outs Today

Rimmer100
Dialled in

Evening,

My broadband isn't very happy today. I don't know if it is just me or something wrong in the DA7 6 area.

08e9dae4ecaba30ca1f64511b1a8c91c5fe56672 (1).png

As you can see in my  BMQ above it has been up and down like a yoyo all day - it went down again while I was posting this!

We'd had many months of excellent service and then after one of the windy days a few months back it started messing about and has been unstable on and off since then.

Today has been the worst though - sometimes it seems to force the SH4 to reboot itself which is handy!

Apparently VM are carrying out network stuff I'm the area tomorrow (which is when I'm meant to be getting intermittent service) so I'm hoping this has something to do with that and it'll get fixed then?

21 REPLIES 21

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It looks like it probably was leading up to the works today.

08e9dae4ecaba30ca1f64511b1a8c91c5fe56672(4).png

It's early days but since the service came back online average and maximum latency looks to be better in comparison and so far no more drop outs.

Speed tests are showing best case results for my 200mb service (220 down, 22 up) so hopefully things will continue like this.

After markedly better performance with page loading times since Friday, I woke up today to no internet.

08e9dae4ecaba30ca1f64511b1a8c91c5fe56672(5).png

I had to powercycle the SH4 to get it back which was surprising considering how well it coped with re-establishing a connection during the dropouts on Thursday and Friday.

Hopefully it'll stay up now...

If you have the hub 4 how did you get the broadband monitor working?
I can't get it to unless it's in modem mode

I had a similar reliability problem a month or two back - went on for two-three weeks without any obvious pattern.  Phoning up to report usually got automated "being fixed" messages, or occasionally got through to offshore agents who couldn't help because intermittent loss of connection wasn't on their Noddy script, but the problem kept recurring, and then eventually disappeared.  I'd hazard a guess at something like a faulty power supply for a network amplifier or even the CMTS, leading to unreliability, but proving a problem to locate, diagnose and fix.

It was so bad I raised a formal complaint, but that was a waste of effort - complaints are handled to the same high standard as most other aspects of VM's operations.  The good news is that it did eventually get fixed, and I'm now back to the usual variability of VM.

Hi Rimmer100,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your Broadband service.

I have attempted to take a look on our side but have been unsuccessful in locating this on our system.

I will private message you to confirm some of your details and pass data protection. 

^Martin

It is in modem mode.

One big problem I have is that I can rarely access the modem status page to check power levels etc. Sometimes it works just after a reboot but then it just times out which doesn't help with troubleshooting.

That sounds all too familiar. That's why I generally hope there is an area issue whenever I have a problem, at least I have half a chance of it being fixed.

It was a shame as it had been really good since Friday but has degraded a lot today.

Hi Martin,

I've responded to your questions.

08e9dae4ecaba30ca1f64511b1a8c91c5fe56672(6).png

As you can see it hasn't been great since the reboot today.

This should be the link to my live BMQ

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/08e9dae4ecaba30ca1f64511b1a8c91c5f...