cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to 600mbps

DeanHowes
Tuning in

I've just agreed an upgrade which includes the 600mbps B/B and the salesman said the Super hub 3 will be sent out for me to replace VM super hub 2ac which I use in modem mode connecting to my own TP-link Ac3200 router (The Super hub 2 ac on its own was rubbish). So when I swap out the Super hub and put it into modem mode, will I have to create a NEW network for wifi devices connected to my router or can I connect the hub to the router (as before) and the old network will work? If yes, what happens to the old network? I def want to use my own router as the super hub was poor at getting signals throughout my property even though it only a 3 bed semi. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not at all stupid, it's not well known that you can connect a single device such as laptop to a hub in modem mode and, as only one device is allowed (as the other three LAN ports become immediately disabled rather like radio buttons) speed tests become that bit more reliable as any router processing is not being done.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As your SuperHub 2 is in modem mode all you have to do is put the Hub3 into modem mode (don’t connect it to your router, just plug in one device with an Ethernet cable) and all should work once you have done the following. Your WAN IP will probably change. Be aware once the Hub3 is in modem mode and the bottom LED is magenta, turn it off. Connect your own router and then power on the Hub3.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks Tudor, I will update as soon as kit arrives.

Thanks DeanHowes, let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance with this 🙂

Rob

so its all done!....... firstly, I looked on youtube for a bit of help to get my head around the process. Next I followed TUDOR advice from this forum as my principal method and, yep it works. However I think it might be helpful to other users if /i break down what occurred. Unplugged/removed Superhub2 (SH2) and transferred incoming co-ax cable to SH3. connected power to SH3. power on and lights indicated activity so I waited on a steady white light. After 30 mins I was staring at a yellowish light..... good job I had 4G on my phone and I discovered I needed to have a device connected via ethernet. That done i was soon into the router setup process but as soon as I had entered new password details into the router page the advice dialogue box disappeared. I had only enough time to see that the router needed to reboot to make changes take effect. Not automatic like some devices but manually I eventually discovered. So back into the router and selected the modem mode options where the same process again showed advice before almost instantly disappearing again. So I manually rebooted again and let the lights settle to a ....red! ( Im expecting a magenta/purple). I removed the ethernet cable and reconnected to my TP link router from port1. and im up and running. After loading up my TP-Link router page I see Im all good! I Think.... I ran speed test via the Ookla service and my speed is up from 220 avg (wired and wireless) to a max 407 wireless (next to router) and a similar 430 wired. Not the 630 I pay for yet! Another check on the SH3 and its still a red light not purple or Magenta. Any feedback on my observations is welcome.

@DeanHowes wrote:

so its all done!....... firstly, I looked on youtube for a bit of help to get my head around the process. Next I followed TUDOR advice from this forum as my principal method and, yep it works. However I think it might be helpful to other users if /i break down what occurred.

Unplugged/removed Superhub2 (SH2) and transferred incoming co-ax cable to SH3.

connected power to SH3. power on and lights indicated activity so I waited on a steady white light. After 30 mins I was staring at a yellowish light..... good job I had 4G on my phone and I discovered I needed to have a device connected via ethernet.

That done i was soon into the router setup process but as soon as I had entered new password details into the router page the advice dialogue box disappeared. I had only enough time to see that the router needed to reboot to make changes take effect.

Not automatic like some devices but manually I eventually discovered.

So back into the router and selected the modem mode options where the same process again showed advice before almost instantly disappearing again.

So I manually rebooted again and let the lights settle to a ....red! ( Im expecting a magenta/purple).

I removed the ethernet cable and reconnected to my TP link router from port1. and im up and running.

After loading up my TP-Link router page I see Im all good! I Think....

I ran speed test via the Ookla service and my speed is up from 220 avg (wired and wireless) to a max 407 wireless (next to router) and a similar 430 wired. Not the 630 I pay for yet! Another check on the SH3 and its still a red light not purple or Magenta. Any feedback on my observations is welcome.

Mine's red too - I mean what is magenta anyway...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

On my hub 3 in modem mode the LED looks a very clear red when viewed off-axis, try looking straight on at the face of the hub and you'll probably see the colour is the purpley-red of magenta rather than bright red.  The multi-colour LED package the hub uses combines red blue and green diodes, and I suspect that either the placement of the blue diode is slightly out of registration with the casing window for the LED, or the casing window is not passing the blue colour as effectively due to the composition of the window dyes.

Whichever clown chose magenta for modem mode and red for overheating needs a kick up the Arris (presumably the same clown chose the random and inconsistent LED colours of the Hub 4).  If you're concerned that it is an overheating red, restart the hub in router mode, leave it running for a few hours, and if the LED is still white (or white-ish) the the hub isn't overheating.  You can't normally detect overheating by touch as the heat input/output of the hub is the same, but if it runs properly in router mode, it certainly won't be running any warmer in modem mode because the hub is having to do less work.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well at least they did not choose green for overheating! When I had a Hub3, original trial one, after a long time the modem mode LED colour was actually much more red than magenta, it certainly was not overheating as it was under the floor under the stairs in a well ventilated area. I put the colour change down to ageing. Perhaps the OP has a re-issued hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Eeeps
Well-informed

I think the red colour in modem mode stacks up with yellow in router mode...

Magenta is Red + Blue. If blue is low output then this tends towards Red.
White is Red + Blue + Green. If blue is low output this tends towards Red + Green = Yellow.

Regarding the OPs speed after the upgrade, don't expect that to improve with time.
Unlike VDSL, DOCSIS 3.0 does not do anything to improve connectivity during the first few days of connection.

It's worth measuring speed at different times of day... 03:00, 09:00, 15:00, 21:00
That should give an indication of maximum achievable rate (03:00) and peak time rates (21:00).

Mine goes from 660Mb/s between 00:00 and 08:00 down to 250Mb/s between 18:00 and 24:00

Thanks guys, loads of feedback concerning the red/magenta light. As the Hub is fresh out of the box, I really didn't want to get a 'that'll do' performance In my opinion the solution is in the design! ( maybe a numbered light for each status? however I'm not giving in. I'm a fan of VM speeds overall and while I'm  unlikely to achieve anything like the 630mbps I supposedly get with the new Oomph package, I know its way better than not having it at all so my next option is getting VM back to reconsider my payment! One thing I would ask you guys is about my network adapter. I have upgraded to an Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 160MHz card installed in my (HP Pro-book 650, G2) Laptop. This proved very satisfactory on my previous VM 200mbps plan giving me a superbly stable 220mbps wireless connection throughout my house. Is this up to the spec needed for my new speeds? I've got a call back sometime today so Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks again all round.